News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

I made a Dud

Started by fastbreak78, November 02, 2014, 11:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastbreak78

Hello everyone. I put together a project recently that's not working. First off, I don't have a schematic for the project, but I've been working off of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgeWhMMkmUA&list=PLCzwfVTc1jWQByHsiRM7I0-x1Oze5-UPT&src_vid=Rv5iQ_aenX8&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_354283

I made a couple part substitutions, because I'm kinda low on parts right now. Instead of using a 10uF electrolytic, I used a 20ish. For the film capacitor I used a 1 uF instead of a 1.5. Also, I installed a 9V power adapter, instead of using the battery pack. I only had one mono jack, so I am using a stereo jack for the input.

A couple of questions:

On the DC supply, there are three tabs. I did a bit of research, and came to the conclusion that I should attach my negative to the innermost tab, and my positive to the tab perpendicular to the center tab, mounted on top of the plastic. When I plugged it in, I was getting hum, so I assumed that it was connected correctly, but I'm not sure. Does that connection seem right? For reference, I'm using one of the plastic barrel jacks.

I'm under the impression that the stereo jack should act like a mono jack if one of the inputs is left disconnected. I'm not entirely sure about this, though.

As far as the capacitors, If I'm not incorrect, I don't think that the 1 uF should be too big of an issue. Would the incorrect electrolytic value prevent the circuit from working properly?
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." ~ Wayne Gretzky

"Every strike brings me closer to the next home run." ~ Babe Ruth

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

mth5044

If you could post an image/screen shot of whatever you are using from the video, it would be very helpful.

Your first two questions can be answered with a multimeter. Describing how things are wired is really hard to follow, so a picture would also be helpful. You can use your multimeter on the DC jack with the power supply plugged in to determine if you have it wired correctly. For the input jack, make sure you have ground to the sleeve and signal to the tip. Nothing should be connected to the ring unless you are using a battery supply, which you said you aren't.

So, do you have a multimeter?/post pictures!

fastbreak78

I don't have my multimeter in my dorm right now. I will be probing things when I go back home for Thanksgiving break, or maybe earlier if I can get my hands on one before then.

I'll work on pictures. Right now the only camera I have right now is my laptop webcam. Even my phone isn't advanced enough to sync with my computer. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can.

fastbreak78

I found the schematic for the build: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/alembicstratoblaster.gif

I'm going to check it against the wiring that I did already, and see how they're different. Hopefully they're comparable. ::)