Fuzz Face voltage question

Started by Schappy, November 02, 2014, 12:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schappy

I just built a late 60s Fuzz Face from GGG. Its sounds very good tuning it by ear by I cant seem to get the correct voltages. Im getting very low voltages but the pedal sounds like it should. Im putting on lead of my multimeter on the collector of Q2 and the other lead to the inside of the enclosure. Am I doing something wrong?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Schappy on November 02, 2014, 12:44:06 PM
Its sounds very good tuning it by ear...

Doesn't sound like there is a problem to me!  ;D

If you are happy with the sound.... don't worry about voltages!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Schappy

Id like to get the real voltages. The sound I am getting is at odds with my readings. My readings from the collector are under 1 v but I getting volume and alot of fuzz from the circuit. Just want to fine tune it.

Govmnt_Lacky

Oh... so basically you are telling me that you like the way it sounds BUT... it doesn't sound right because the voltages don't match something you have seen?

Gotcha  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Schappy

Not exactly. First I just want to get into the habit of knowing the voltage. People say 4.5v is the sweet spot. Im thinking it could sound better.

Pyr0

What transistors are you using, Si or Ge ?  Gains ? Leakage ? are you sure they are orientated correctly ?

Schappy

ge 2n1305. Got them from small bear. Dont know the leakage. I know there orientated correctly. Ive played fuzz faces before and it sounds close and good but not quite there.