Power supply placement on breadboard

Started by frogman, November 03, 2014, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frogman

So I have been working on a fuzz build for the last few months. A tonebender to be specific. The tone was there, it just wasnt loud, even cranked it was only at unity volume. I had troubleshooted capacitors, resistors, transistors, pots and everything else. I came back after a few weeks of not messing with it and noticed that when nudged, the power supply (9V battery) became louder for a second. The positive and negative wires were originally closer to the output, but still in the positive and negative bus. I tried moving the wires closer to the input (still in the same busses) and WHAM. Volume. Now it sounds right. Now to the point of my post...

However, I thought the positive and negative were just like the other lines of holes on a breadboard..... busses, conducting current with no regard to the order they are placed on it. I guess I am wrong and things have to be placed a certain way. But do components have to be placed on the positive and negative busses as they are on the schematic? Is there a theory behind this that has to do with power supply being before or after resistors/capacitors to get the most out of a circuit?

nocentelli

Much more likely that the original points of contact were a poor (high resistance) connection. Frequently used holes on a breadboard go faulty and intermittent eventually. Distance of power supply from circuit should not make a difference.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

antonis

Quote from: frogman on November 03, 2014, 07:48:03 PM
things have to be placed a certain way. But do components have to be placed on the positive and negative busses as they are on the schematic? Is there a theory behind this that has to do with power supply being before or after resistors/capacitors to get the most out of a circuit?
As long as we deal with "simple" circuits (no couple of small signals for a long distance or so..) there is no need for a "intentified" placement order..
(but you have to avoid creating groud loops with excessive wiring..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

deadastronaut

sounds like a cheapo breadboard...

some cheap boards have pretty poor holes/connectors...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//