DIY Noisegate

Started by akc1973, November 05, 2014, 01:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akc1973

Hey Folks,

I know this has probably been asked many times but I'm interested in recommendations for a DIY Noisegate that people have had good success with?

akc1973
Builds: Bazz Fuss, Orange Squeezer, Omega, Green Ringer, Dist+, X-Fuzz

deadastronaut

some members made the 'decimator' with good results a while back...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Kipper4

I did the DOd FX30 works a treat
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

antonis

I used something like this sometimes ago with a BigMuff in a wooden enclosure with great results...
(but I had relative small amount of "hiss" and a reasonably excpected "hum" to eliminate..) :icon_wink:

You better bridge the pot to both ends of R14 for best results...

I suggest a value of 1M so you will not decrease much the total value of the biasing resistor...
(maybe you'll have to trimm it to a value of 100k - or less - resulting that you'll have to decrease the upper voltage divider resistor if you want to keep the same bias voltage..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

Where do you want/need to insert it into your signal chain, and what sort of "noise" are you trying to control?

Important considerations.

akc1973

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 05, 2014, 08:01:49 AM
Where do you want/need to insert it into your signal chain, and what sort of "noise" are you trying to control?

Important considerations.

Hi Mark,

I've read your recommendations in the past of having two noise gates (at the start and end of the signal chain for guitar-induced and effect/gain-induced hiss/hum, respectively). My guitars are pretty quiet so I want one for the end of the chain so that I can try out some higher-gain effects.

akc1973

Mark Hammer

So you are basically wishing to tackle accumulated hiss?

akc1973

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 06, 2014, 08:51:10 AM
So you are basically wishing to tackle accumulated hiss?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm after. And one other condition I have ( ;)) is that I use vero or buy pre-etched PCBs (I don't etch my own)...I notice there is a vero layout of the MXR noise gate floating around which looks relatively feasible.

akc1973

akc1973

I guess it's going to be the MXR noisegate!  : :icon_biggrin:

akc1973

josephtrex

I bought the Collete noisegate pcb from tonepad, but I've been afraid to tackle it. There are a lot of build reports that are contradictions so that's why I'm putting it off. have a ton of other projects to do before I get to it. So if you have success with that, let me know!!!

akc1973

Quote from: josephtrex on November 10, 2014, 09:54:55 PM
I bought the Collete noisegate pcb from tonepad, but I've been afraid to tackle it. There are a lot of build reports that are contradictions so that's why I'm putting it off. have a ton of other projects to do before I get to it. So if you have success with that, let me know!!!

Will do!  :)