Vintage Atwater Kent Speaker/Amp Project

Started by momo, November 05, 2014, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

Hey there,
I now have this speaker and I want to make it a speaker/amp combo.
I would put something like a tiny giant on the back or any other small amp and add a 10 inch speaker.
Now that original paper type speaker is fine and all it needs is a transfo to make it work with the reed setup, but I would think its quite thinny sounding.
Lots of mids and not much else.
So anyhow as you see in that last picture, I would mount that piece with the amp in it on there.
I am now looking for a suitable 10 inch speaker.
I need a shallow one that is not more than 4 inches deep...
Any suggestions?
I think an old ceramic would work.
Or does anyone of you have an old vintage 10 inch that fits that I could buy?
:icon_mrgreen:

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

PRR

A vintage Atwater-Kent cone speaker is VERY collectable. Especialy in good cosmetic condition and restorable mechanicals. Yours looks very fine to me. Why don't you find it a good home, take the money and get something else?

> Lots of mids

That is what you will get with a 10" speaker in a 10" near-open baffle.

If you must put a modern speaker in there, that size shell should use a 6-inch at most. Cut thin plywood to fit behind the grille, cut a 5-1/5 hole in it and mount your speaker.
  • SUPPORTER

momo

Thanks for the info, after thinking about all this, I will just sell it.
If a 10 inch speaker with good response was feasable, I would get to work, but smaller speaker is not worth the effort I think.
I have a habit of getting into mods that take up alot of time for what it is in the end.
I wanted this to be not only a nice funky looking setup, but it had to sound great too.
I see some of those on ebay for 60-80 dollars average....
lets see what I can get, the market these days is very bad!

thanks for the info.
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."