Pedal Order Selector

Started by tntptp, November 07, 2014, 02:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tntptp

I'm looking at building a pedal order selector for the purpose of experimenting outside of the typical signal chain.  This is primarily to create some ambient and pyschcodelic sounds.  Anyway, I'm going about by using rotary switches with 1 deck, 2 poles, and 6 positions.  I will break my pedals up into 5 groups and each group will be assigned a position.  This leaves the 6th position for a bypass.  As well, I'm going to have a toggle switch assigned to each rotary switch and it will select between the main signal going to my amp and the amp effects loop.  I hope this explains my plan.

anyway, getting to my question - I'm fairly comfortable with the schematic so far but was a little worried about tying all of the grounds together.  I believe this is standard practice but was hoping for some input from this forum to build up my confidence.  If anyone has experience with this please let me know if I should be concerned about any side effects from tying all these grounds together.

PRR

> build up my confidence

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Self-Confidence

Embrace the unknown

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/10-ways-to-instantly-build-self-confidence/
Build Self Confidence
1. Dress Sharp
2. Walk Faster
3. Good Posture
4. Personal Commercial
5. Gratitude
6. Compliment other people
7. Sit in the front row
8. Speak up
9. Work out
10. Focus on contribution

> worried about tying all of the grounds

They already ARE tied together. Nothing changes.

(Yes, I know too well that sometimes slight changes of common-wire routing DO make a difference. But try it and see.)
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Unless any of them are positive ground, such as PNP-based circuits, you shouldn't have any issues.

The DP6T rotary is a time honoured method for switching multi-fx.  Best to think of them in terms of "stations".  Each switch position selects what you want at that station.  It is still up to the user to avoid selecting the same effect at more than one station...but that's what good leg ending and pointer knobs are for, right?

knutolai

If you want to delve deeper into pedal-order-experimentation you should probably check out matrix mixers. These will allow you to run your pedals in series, parallel, feed them back into themselves and so on. Very cool stuff!!!!

antonis

8) :icon_cool: 8)

I can definitely verify the fact of  "spam & age/respectability/distinctive levels are directly proportional..!!"

:icon_biggrin: :icon_lol: :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..