What does IC Stand for?

Started by macjohn, November 09, 2014, 09:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macjohn

I assume I should know this.  The debugging faq talks about checking this and I can't seem to find what IC stands for.  Thanks.

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

MaxPower

Integrated circuits like op amps for example. Often called IC chips.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

nick d

Internal Combustion ?   

( Sorry , just in a silly mood ! )

bluebunny

Quote from: nick d on November 10, 2014, 05:58:42 AM
           Internal Combustion ?   

That'll be when the magic smoke escapes!   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

In my world it is:

"Integrated Coach"

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Hemmel

As long as it's not "Irritated Crotch"
Bââââ.

MrStab

Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

StephenGiles

Quote from: cloudscapes on November 09, 2014, 10:09:23 PM
integrated circuit

Which is strange because what we refer to as a "circuit diagram" in the UK is referred to in North American parts as a "schematic" !!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

italianguy63

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 10, 2014, 09:53:18 AM
integrated circuit

Which is strange because what we refer to as a "circuit diagram" in the UK is referred to in North American parts as a "schematic" !!

I'm sure it is because a chip is a collection of pieces that make up a circuit.  Hence, a "circuit" that is "integrated" into one piece.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Johan

I'm surprised no one spells it iC...
j
DON'T PANIC

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on November 10, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
integrated circuit

I'm sure it is because a chip is a collection of pieces that make up a circuit.  Hence, a "circuit" that is "integrated" into one piece.

We had all these discrete parts which we integrated into a single chip. :)

Transmogrifox

Quote from: Johan on November 10, 2014, 04:09:30 PM
j

It is because the IC existed before Apple could turn it into a gimmick. 
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

PRR

First hit on Google (your friend!) is Interstitial Cystitis.

> what we refer to as a "circuit diagram" in the UK

Oh, we have circuit diagrams also. I'm not sure when the fad started for calling them schematics. But an electrical/electronic schematic always shows circuits.

It is less distressing than boot/trunk. I'd never throw my suitcase in the boot. If not for 1960s car-rags and now that fat/tall car-flipping show we'd never expect a boot in the rear, a hood on the top, or wings on a car.

And tYres. Not complaining about your spelling. Rather: I have a tractor which was sold in both the US and the UK, with slightly different gears. I have the US gears. When trying to find service manuals, I have learned to flip real-fast to the rubber doughnut data. If it is "tYres", it won't cover my variant. (Anybody know a manual for ~~1967 Ford 4500 with "tires"?)
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: Transmogrifox on November 10, 2014, 07:50:04 PM
Quote from: Johan on November 10, 2014, 04:09:30 PM

It is because the IC existed before Apple could turn it into a gimmick. 

Ah, iSee...                                                :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Scruffie

I keep thinking of insufferable cu...  :icon_redface:

italianguy63

duck_arse

Quote from: italianguy63 on November 10, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
integrated circuit

a chip is what the seagulls (actually silver gulls) eat, when they can.
don't make me draw another line.