Volume - tone control order

Started by armdnrdy, November 14, 2014, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

I looked around the net and searched this site but I haven't found any conclusive info.

I am wondering if there is any downside/unintended consequences to having a volume control before a passive tone control.

Here is the circuit that I'm working with:

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Hatredman

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Mark Hammer

I can't see the pic, but typically the two controls interact more when the tone follows the volume (i.e., is tied to the wiper output instead of the input lug).  That's not "wrong" in any sense, but it means that the Tone control may have to be adjusted whenever one alters the Volume setting.  If you prefer set-and-forget Tone settings, then it is better-placed ahead of the Volume.

armdnrdy

Thanks for that Mark.

The circuit is a reverb unit based on the Belton BTDR-3.

The volume control is at the brick's output. (taken from the BTDR-2 Data sheet mono schematic)

There is an op amp (gain stage) in between the reverb volume control and the tone control.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

ashcat_lt

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 14, 2014, 11:07:20 AMThere is an op amp (gain stage) in between the reverb volume control and the tone control.
Then it doesn't really matter.  In fact, it might be a little better for noise purposes.

Mark Hammer

Ah, in which case they are less interdependent than I thought.  I was picturing something more like the V/T arrangement in a guitar.

The only advantage I can think of for situating T after V is if what happens in between them generates either more harmonic content, or hiss.  Under those conditions, leaving treble cut until further along is a sensible thing.

I always wanted to try a 6G6-A Bassman, which situates the Treble control two triode sections after the volume and rest of the tonestack.

armdnrdy

Thanks guys!

It's funny...I noticed Mark's comment first...and after a pot of coffee...I thought I read, "less independent"  :icon_eek:

Thanks again for the  replies.

pinkjimiphoton

fwiw, i've had good luck on some fuzzes just doing a real simple guitar style tone knob right off the input to gain/attack knobs. will definitely lose some highs, but sometimes it seems to "smooth" things out.

ymmv... i learn every day fuzzes have some new surprise to stomp my head with ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr