anyone know of a good headphone amp splitter layout?

Started by Hav, November 24, 2014, 01:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hav

hi all,

as it says in title...

would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

PBE6

Headphone amps need to deliver power to the headphones, so unfortunately a simple signal splitter won't work by itself. You'll need to split the signal and then send the outputs to separate power circuits.

The LM386 chip was designed as an easy-to-use headphone amp solution for battery powered units, but by all accounts you get what you pay for in performance (did I mention that it's cheap?). There may be improved chips out there that are just as easy to use. Alternatively, you could build multiple copies of a simple circuit like this:

http://sound.westhost.com/project113.htm

Stereo outputs will require two of these for each channel, but mono only requires one and might be just fine for monitoring purposes. You can also try adding a small trimpot (1k?) in line with the headphone amp output as suggested to get the best sound from headphones with varying impedances.

PRR

Insufficient information.

Some headphone amps will easily drive multiple headphones. For example, the LM386 can easily drive 16 ohms, so can drive *two* of the now-common 32 Ohm headphones. In old days we used 100 Ohm phones and drove dozens of them with a 4 Ohm loudspeaker amplifier. Just need Y-cables.

What amp? What phones? Links?
  • SUPPORTER

bool

There are other solutions, more or less advanced - but since the LM386 is so popular among guitar-diy'ers, google look up the "headbanger" headphone amp and mod/reapply to suit your needs. It will most likely drive 3 (three) nominal 32-Ohm phones.

If you want to drive 16-Ohm ear-buds, you will most likely have to use build-out resistors for each stereo output pair (cca. 10 Ohm should do).

Other "easy" solution is a TDA2820 chip. Or two LA4140's. Depending on where you live and what you're after. If you want overkill: TDA2004 or TDA 1510 running at 15 or 16 volts.

PBE6

If you run several headphones off of one amp, how do you adjust the volume for each pair individually? I suppose a *very* tiny pot (10 ohms or less) could be used in front of each pair as a voltage divider for volume control. Do they even make those? A quick scan on eBay doesn't seem show anything below 100 ohm, and that's in trim pot form.

Is there a better way? There must be.

PRR

> how do you adjust the volume for each pair

That requirement is not in the original question. (One reason I was poking for more info.)

> Is there a better way?

At today's prices, a dual power-amp is cheaper than a dual power pot. So you buffer, split to a lot of small stereo pots, to a lot of small stereo amps.

You can buy this pre-made cheaper than you can collect-up the box knobs and jacks. Sad but true.
  • SUPPORTER

bool

Quote from: PRR on November 26, 2014, 10:47:35 PM...
You can buy this pre-made cheaper than you can collect-up the box knobs and jacks. ...
"Yes" if you aren't demanding any "special" feature.

"No" if you want f.e. a high-powered driver or a custom eq-ed high-powered driver.

You will pay extra for "high performance". So there's room for DIY, but for anything else, there are ART, Samson and Beer-ringers.

If you DIY, check your grounds meticulously and take care with PSU.

FUZZZZzzzz

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"