Effects Order Switching?

Started by carboncomp, November 25, 2014, 01:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

Has anyone got a diagram for how to wire a effects order switch?

I want to put two pedals is one box, but be able to switch what effect comes first.

mth5044

carboncomp

Quote from: mth5044 on November 25, 2014, 01:53:49 PM
Last layout on the bottom of this page.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/Looper-Switcher/index.htm

As I'm only going to have two jacks for input and output, would Send A Return A, just be the input and output lugs of effects 3pdt switch  A,  and the same with B?

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Note that one of the good/convenient things toggle switches have going for them is that the switch-handle position serves as your indicator.  I've made several dual-loop selector boxes with an order-flipper toggle, using the beavis diagram and a 3PDT toggle.  When the toggle handle points to the left, the left loop comes first.  When the handle points to the right, the right loop comes first.  Pretty straightforward.

mth5044

Quote from: carboncomp on November 25, 2014, 02:12:54 PM

As I'm only going to have two jacks for input and output, would Send A Return A, just be the input and output lugs of effects 3pdt switch  A,  and the same with B?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. The link does only have one in and out. S/R A are I/O of pedal 1, respectively, then the same for B. You will need six jacks in order to have an in, out, and four connections to the two pedals.

What mark says is good advice (duh) if you can't source a 4PDT or don't want to power the pedal.

nate77

Barry at guitarpcb has a couple different mini PCB's for order switching. One with a toggle selector and one with a 4dpt footswitch.  There is also a great layout at tagboard effects. I've used all of these and they're all good options.

carboncomp

Quote from: mth5044 on November 27, 2014, 12:00:56 PM
Quote from: carboncomp on November 25, 2014, 02:12:54 PM

As I'm only going to have two jacks for input and output, would Send A Return A, just be the input and output lugs of effects 3pdt switch  A,  and the same with B?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. The link does only have one in and out. S/R A are I/O of pedal 1, respectively, then the same for B. You will need six jacks in order to have an in, out, and four connections to the two pedals.

What mark says is good advice (duh) if you can't source a 4PDT or don't want to power the pedal.

What I'm saying is, the layout out is for a stand alone box, that you would plug two pedals into.

As I will be fitting both effects and the switching circuit into one box, would I wire the send and return A/B (that go to jacks sockets on the diagram) to the input and output switch lugs on effect A & B?

mth5044

Yep, that's correct! Jacks are just ways to make wires longer.

You can get 4PDT toggles if you don't want to take up valuable enclosure space, or just 3PDT toggle as Mark suggests.