Faulty stereo socket??

Started by THOMMO, November 30, 2014, 01:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THOMMO

G'day all! Is it possible to have a fault in a stereo socket, where the ring and sleeve are connected when there is no jack plugged in?
I have a duel pedal here(Eternity/PurplePlexi w/ order switch) that seems to be draining the battery even when there is no jack plugged in!
This is the wiring I use for all my pedals http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/. Or do I need to connect the battery negative to the sleeve, to make it a switch? And....lol, did I just answer my own question?
I don't leave batteries in pedals often. If I do, it's on my board, where I'm using a power supply, where the jack disconnects the battery. Anyway, if someone could clear my cloudy mind, that would be great.......lol!

Cheers, Thommo.
May The Twang Be With You

bluebunny

If you're using the Beavis wiring exactly as it's shown, then you should have no problems: inserting a DC jack will disconnect the battery, and removing the input jack will disconnect all the power, battery or otherwise.  Got some pictures we can lay eyes on?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

THOMMO

Hey bluebunny! This is the best pic I can get ATM(iPad2).

I realised that my LED's were still turning on with only the battery connected. So I just moved the battery negative back to the DC socket which fixed that issue. All grounds bar the one from the DC socket are on the sleeve of the input and the DC ground is on the ring by itself. So the DC socket ground needs to be the only ground connection on the ring for it to work properly? All the others can go on the sleeve.

Cheers, Thommo.
May The Twang Be With You