Fuzz pedal first circuit malfunction

Started by ScallionJake, November 30, 2014, 12:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScallionJake

Hi! I'm Jake, I've never made a pedal before and have only been working with electronics for a couple months. That being said, I dove into this instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Fuzz-Pedal not realizing that not only is it a terrible beginner's guide, it's a terrible pedal! I ended up doing away with the DPDT stomp, and thus the SPST switch in exchange for a 3PDT, added an on/off light and a stereo in jack. I still stuck with the schematic for the circuit, but for wiring the hardware I used this guide http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=970.0
When I turn on the pedal the light goes on, nothing but silence is heard
When I turn the pedal off the signal comes through fine

This is the schematic with the voltages I measured on my circuit
I bought new transistors today because I put the originals in backwards

If any more information is needed I would be happy to provide it (I foolishly need this done in a matter of hours to put into my college portfolio)
Thank you so much for any help!

slacker

Hi

The Voltages look Ok, have you tried adjusting the 10k pot? There will be some settings on it that will give you no sound, by adjusting it you should be able to get about 4.5 Volts on the collector of the second transistor where you have 6.72 Volts now, which is a good place to start from. I would think it should make some noise with 6.72 Volts there though. If you are getting nothing at all I would start by double checking the wiring.

Do you have any photos of the build you could post that might show something obvious.

Welcome aboard :)

ScallionJake

Thanks Slacker! I don't really remember changing anything but now the pedal makes very loud gain noise when turned on, still no guitar signal.
I should've said, the 10K is a trimmer-style pot. I did adjust it slightly only to get a louder, more piercing hum.
I took a lot of photos, hopefully some of them will be helpful and not just disorienting. If completely necessary I will remove the circuit from the hardware for a better view, just let me know.
Here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/HX6vR

EDIT: after adjusting the trimmer to a point where I was getting about 4.9v on the collector of the second transistor, I hear very very quiet guitar signal underneath all the hum when both the 5K and 100K pots are turned all the way up

CodeMonk

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but...

Stick a 330 ohm ( or was the 430 being that its an Si ?) between the 9 volt and the 10k on the 2nd transistor. You can change that 10k to 8.2k if you want
Change the 100k going from 9 volt to the first transistor to 33k.
Dump the 5K going to the 22uf, change the 10k trimmer to 1k - 5k and you have a fuzz face. More or less.
That 100k going to the collector of first transistor seem kinda high.

Should still get something from it anyway.
And Like slacker said, check your wiring. solder joints and and solder bridges.

induction

Judging from the photos, I'm guessing you have a short or a bad solder joint somewhere. Trim the component leads on the back of the board and clean up the wiring around the switch and jacks so that there's less chance of bare wires touching each other or the enclosure. The yellow wire with loose single strands of wire is particularly troubling.

Based on the amount of melted insulator on the wires attached to the stomp switch, you may have overheated the switch contacts as well. Try testing continuity of the switch to make sure it's still working. When you wire a switch, put the wires through the holes and bend them so that they stay in place mechanically before you apply heat and solder. Spend no more than 1 second with the iron touching the lugs.

If it still isn't working after the wiring is cleaned up, it will at least be easier for us to figure out the problem.