Schmitt Trigger 40106?

Started by brokenstarguitar, November 30, 2014, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

Is the "CD40106BCMX" chip the same as the "Schmitt Trigger 40106" chip? If not, whats the difference between them? Thanks in advance.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

anotherjim

The short answer is Yes.

Despite the extra digit, it's a 4000 series CMOS logic device. They have different prefixes according to original manufacturer, which isn't necessarily the manufacturer that makes it now. I know of CD, HEF or MC1 prefixes, there may be more. Many designs only quote the number since the different designs of that same number are meant to be compatible. So, you can look for CD40106, HEF40106 or MC140106.

The suffix letters are the ones to watch out for. If you see a type number with "UB" after the number, that is an unbuffered version suitable for slower speed operation.

The majority of 4000 series devices start with a "B" after the number which indicates the internal logic has additional buffering stages on it's inputs and outputs to speed it up - but this has a tendency to "jitter" with slow changing input levels. Only some of the basic logic devices have UB versions and you can only hope the circuit design you're building states when a UB version is necessary. 40106 doesn't come in a UB version that I'm aware of, and being a Schmitt trigger, it's immune to jitter with a slow input signal.