Looking for advice on how to trouble shoot the FL301 flanger from tonepad

Started by malachi, December 01, 2014, 10:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malachi

I have assembled the tonepad pcb with the components from the list but I am not getting any wet signal from the board. At first I did try to build the complete circuit with the charge pump and stomp switch in place but when I got nothing out of if I eliminated everything except for the pcb, two 9 V batteries and no switch. I have the three pots in place and the input/output jacks and the signal definately travels through the board but it has no effect of the dry sound going into the circuit. If I remove the batteries, no sound comes through the board. I was wondering if I were to take voltage readings at the appropriate places maybe some one could help me trouble shoot the circuit. I could also take a picture the circuit and a schematic if necessary. Being truthful, I do not have a clue how to trouble shoot this circuit so any help would be greatly appreciated. Mali

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

malachi

armdnrdy, I appreciate your post. It is almost as I mentioned in the OP but thank you for your reply. I will gather the pertinent data and repost my question,

bluesdevil

I recommend making an audio probe and tracing the signal path. It really has helped me a lot finding cold solder joints or shorts that caused me problems.
Or take a close look with a magnifying glass and use the continuity checker on your meter if you find pads/solder blobs too close together for possible shorts.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

malachi

Thanks bluesdevil, I wish I had retained my old ocilloscope but like many things, I thought I would never need that piece of equipment again and let it go. I am going to follow armdnrdy's advice and put together the data with some other info and repost. I do appreciate your reply, thaks

malachi

bluesdevil, I am going to need to apologize for shrugging off your helpful post earlier. I simply didn't drink the full glass of cool aide and when I finally google fu'd audio probe, I discovered how useful that would be and how I think I could build one of those quite easily. It never crossed my mind what you were suggesting, I was back in the eighties at a lab rack in school tooling with an old Tektronix. Your advice will certainly be very helpful I am sure, thank you again for your help.

bluesdevil

That's okay, I should have explained what the audio probe was. It actually took a while before I used one... and I kicked myself for putting it off for so long when the thing worked like a charm!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy