Causality 4 MKII Help

Started by canman, December 01, 2014, 10:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canman

Well, I hope that's the problem I'm having!  Theoretically, it makes sense, since when I use different pot values, the phaser works, but the taper is wrong.  When the new pot comes in I will keep you all posted.  I guess some pots are more sensitive than others?

I just really hope the new pot works...trying to figure out why the right pot doesn't work and the wrong pot works seems like a miserable experience...

Mark Hammer

Zombie thread time...

Working my way through the bin-o'-boards that were etched and stuffed but either never boxed up, or boxed but requiring troubleshooting.

I have a Causality 4 MKII that "works", with all 5 controls doing what they should, but often requires serious adjustment of the controls to avoid a very nasty and loud "thunk" at the LFO rate.

Is there any simple or documented cure for that particular problem?  Or is the working assumption that one simply tweak the knobs to make it go away?

Kipper4

Don't have the depth set too high. Depends on  the wave and speed.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Mark Hammer

Understood.  I'm just wondering if there was a fix that might make it possible to play with settings, and still avoid sub-audio catastrophe.  For instance, would an electro on the ground leg of the op-amp stage that sets width/range, or perhaps at its input or output, stop the thump at most settings?

pinkjimiphoton

to misquote analog tom, diy guys put in too many options. that thunk sound he hated, said why would anybody ever use a sound like that?

but i countered with cuz it can sound cool if ya do this: <pink takes the guitar and exploits the low frequency throb to modulate distortion ina a very cool way>

i found that that sound can be very cool if dialed way down.. its like being on toadstools or something. you can't just ignore that part and use the range that sounds good to you, or the noise is non stop? it should only be when ya have the depth up high and the sweep turned kinda low if memory serves.

makin' popcorn on this one, but hope ya get it sorted bro
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

chemosis

I built one of these and ended up with a very similar problem. I ended up with a faint tremolo with white noise, intill you get to the very end of the speed pot. then I hear the lfo making a thud thumping sound  which is much more audiable. no phasing  about to check some voltages

chemosis

if it were a louder and cleaner signal then id have a pretty good tremolo possibly.   no phasing at all. tried different lm13700s.checked traces for bridges triple checked layout. even made my vero  slightly bigger than the layout to provide space. time to check voltages.