Rusty Box Build issue - High Pitched Whine

Started by Shawnobi, December 04, 2014, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawnobi

Hi there,
I've just finished my build of the Rusty Box (Traynor TS50). It's been built to JohnK's latest tag board layout.
tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/03/tronographic-rusty-box.html

I've getting a high pitched whine that I've having trouble diagnosing.
What I've noticed is that on my TL071 chip I'm seeing around 9V at pins 2, 3 & 6. I think these should be sat around zero. If I put my meter between the neg pin of the power in and the case of the box I get -9V. So I think there must be some kind of grounding issue. If I wire the Neg pin directly to the case it shorts the power. I would have thought they should be at the same 0V??

Can anybody suggest what is happening? The power supply seems to be working correctly supplying the +18V & -18V derived from the input.

Thanks.

R.G.

It is very difficult to understand what is happening with only pictures of a stripboard layout to work from. It amounts to doing a reverse-engineering tracing of the stripboard into a schematic before anything more can happen.

Can you please read and follow the procedure in "Debugging: what to do when it doesn't work" as regards posting a link to a schematic and the pin voltages of the active devices?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

GibsonGM

Unfortunately, since layouts often don't provide the electrical schematic, that makes it much harder to diagnose.  You seem to have oscillation going on.  
Your instincts may be good on this one - it's power supply.  You probably have a short somewhere.  I'd trace the input back, see "why does this have 9V on it??".  

You SURE what you're calling Neg is actually not 18V??  If it's a split power supply like that, you have more places to make errors, so make sure your grounds are done right!  
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Shawnobi

Thanks folks. I'll do some more digging. Here is a bit more info.
The power supply board is supposed to output +15 & -15. That measures fine in isolation and measured when connected to the rest of the circuit.
Sorry for not posting more schematics, I'm posting from work and a lot of the sites are blocked :/

Question, should all the chassis earth (Back of pots, box etc) be connected to the negative input? (From wall wart)

TL071 Voltages are
1 -14.5
2       9.19
3       8.95
4      -14.7
5      -14.58
6        9.27
7       14.83
8       0

Q1
D   9.17
S   9.18
G   -14.5

Q2
E   4.98
B   5.24
C   14.81

Q3
E   9.74
B   9
C   -10

Q4
E   9.78
B   9.18
C   -10.1

Q5
E   9.69
B   9.19
C   -14.7

Q6
E   9.78
B   9.19
C   -14.7

Q7
E   9.79
B   9.18
C   -9.88

Q8
E   9.79
B   9.19
C   -14.77

The pedal is taken from the pre-amp section of the traynor TS50 bass amp. Full schematic of that is here:
http://isp.lynx.net/~jc/781218_TS50.gif

R.G.

Quote from: Shawnobi on December 04, 2014, 09:25:50 AM
Thanks folks. I'll do some more digging. Here is a bit more info.
The power supply board is supposed to output +15 & -15. That measures fine in isolation and measured when connected to the rest of the circuit.
Sorry for not posting more schematics, I'm posting from work and a lot of the sites are blocked :/

Question, should all the chassis earth (Back of pots, box etc) be connected to the negative input? (From wall wart)
The pedal is taken from the pre-amp section of the traynor TS50 bass amp. Full schematic of that is here:
http://isp.lynx.net/~jc/781218_TS50.gif
When you can get to where you can post schematics, please do so.

For instance, without schematics, it's not possible to tell whether the chassis earth should be connected to the negative input. Probably, given your description, but without details of the circuit, it's merely speculation, no more informed than your question.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Shawnobi

Here is a picture of the original Traynor schematic. The Pedal only uses the preamp section. I don't have a schematic for the power supply section. Only the tagboard from here: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5hYUyuCLJGI/Uylg1bDm_2I/AAAAAAAAGTo/3y-kOGUKJ5I/s1600/0002-RustyBoxPSVerified.png But the voltages on that to the main board look fine.

One thing I have noticed though is that the emmiter of MPSA18 is reading 5V and not -15V so need to investigate that.
Another thing I've noticed is that schematic shows grounding specifics.

Shawnobi

All the voltages check out from the Schematic for -15 & 15V.

Shawnobi

Here is a link to a video showing what is happening. I'm sure it's power supply related. The board on the right is the power supply. Voltages check out fine on the main board. So it's outputting what it should, but I think it's also the source of the noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/up2laply2dqunlr/VIDEO0052.mp4?dl=0

Shawnobi

Sussed the problem I think.
I was using a typical centre negative PSU. The power socket I was using would ground the positive to the chassis when I plugged the power jack in. This explains why it was shorting when I linked the grounds on the main effect board to the ground on the power supply board.
Took a bit of head scratching that.