Help with AMZ Mini Booster build to include Fat/Fatter mod.

Started by steveyraff, December 05, 2014, 10:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to do this build for a while now: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/amz-mini-booster.html

Seems very straight forward, but on the AMZ website I found a page that details a simple Fat/Fatter mod: http://www.muzique.com/news/mini-booster-fat-and-fatter/

I was wondering how hard it would be to incorporate the the mod into the AMZ build? I mean, it looks like I can simply put the two voltage dropping LED's and switch all off board between the power supply and the board - but I am a noob and unsure how to really do this. I mean, wouldn't the power going straight to the two mod LED's without any resistors blow them ?

If someone can tell me how to successfully do this in as much detail as possible, it'd be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Mark Hammer

Your concerns are not inappropriate.  As many of us found in our beginning days, touching the leads of an LED directly to a fresh 9V battery leads to a non-functioning LED very quickly.  But keep in mind that, in this application, it's not like the LEDs are simply placed between +9V and ground such that they are being asked to pass all the current the power supply can deliver.  There is lots of other stuff between the LEDs and ground that will reduce the amount of current passing through the LEDs...enough that they are simply functioning like diodes.

Of course, if your were anxious about blowing them, it would be entirely reasonable to replace an LED with several diodes in series to achieve a similar voltage drop.  The LED just accomplishes the same goal with one part, instead of 3 or 4.

steveyraff

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 05, 2014, 12:04:21 PM
Your concerns are not inappropriate.  As many of us found in our beginning days, touching the leads of an LED directly to a fresh 9V battery leads to a non-functioning LED very quickly.  But keep in mind that, in this application, it's not like the LEDs are simply placed between +9V and ground such that they are being asked to pass all the current the power supply can deliver.  There is lots of other stuff between the LEDs and ground that will reduce the amount of current passing through the LEDs...enough that they are simply functioning like diodes.

Of course, if your were anxious about blowing them, it would be entirely reasonable to replace an LED with several diodes in series to achieve a similar voltage drop.  The LED just accomplishes the same goal with one part, instead of 3 or 4.

Ah of course - thank you Mark! As this is only my second or 3rd build, I am still on a steep learning curve. Now that you've explained it to me, it seems glaringly obvious! Thank you for clearing it up for me though - I just needed my brain to be pointed in the right direction. Doh!

Appreciate the helpful reply,
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk