Storing leftover resistors, caps, etc.

Started by Adamo, December 10, 2014, 03:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamo

I'm starting to accumulate lots of left over components from my builds and I'm trying to figure out the best way to store them in an organized way. Any suggestions?

PBE6

I recommend buying a box of envelopes. One value per envelope, and store them in a drawer or toolbox. Only costs about $2 and makes organization a snap.

CodeMonk

Ice-9

Send them all to me , I promise to store them very neatly. :)

Seriously though, I do exactly as in CodeMonk's picture those draw units are great
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

CodeMonk

And you can't forget your decorations/pals...

Thecomedian

Jewelry and craft plastic bags for 100 count at 1$, paper tape, and a permanent marker. That's how I did it before starting to build up plastic boxes.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

antonis

Quote from: CodeMonk on December 10, 2014, 10:14:41 PM
I like that you mark the 821 caps as 0.00082 μF and not as 820nF... :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

A cardboard box does well in a pinch  :) Just toss everything in there, like in shoebox.   You can enjoy spending 45 minutes going thru it looking for a specific resistor and never finding it!   I did that for a couple of years, in fact, before I get the drawers shown above.

Small "tackle boxes' from say Walmart are great for sorting out ICs, diodes, transistors...I keep them in the small plastic bags you get from a SmallBear order.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

As long as the drawers are of a good quality and the median separators go all the way down...
(so there are no resistor legs sneaking to the next space and no separators crushing when "somebody" :icon_eek: heavily close them..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had all my resistors in a Raaco-like assorter box.  But I still had more than one value in a compartment, so not ideal.  So I bought a binder and photo-album refill pages which now gives me a whole E24 "decade" on two refill sheets.  If anyone wants to see the depths of my sad OCD-fuelled solution, I'll take some pics.  Wasn't cheap, btw...   ::)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

codemonk, I hate to tell you, but some of your "pals" are actually cable ties. your setup looks remarkably like mine, right down to the soldering iron.

[I have a glow-in-the-dark teenage ninja turtle, tassie devils, plastic duck and plastic alligator as my pals. and some rocks.]
don't make me draw another line.

anchovie

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 11, 2014, 07:10:34 AM
A cardboard box does well in a pinch  :) Just toss everything in there, like in shoebox.   You can enjoy spending 45 minutes going thru it looking for a specific resistor and never finding it!

I do this, with the added bonus that one corner of the box is ripped so it has to be lifted carefully. The feeling when you find the value that you need makes it all worthwhile!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Kipper4

Quote from: bluebunny on December 11, 2014, 08:42:18 AM
If anyone wants to see the depths of my sad OCD-fuelled solution, I'll take some pics.  Wasn't cheap, btw...   ::)

I'm game Marc
Gut shot please :(
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Ice-9

Quote from: antonis on December 11, 2014, 07:09:33 AM

That would be 820pf Yes ?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

CodeMonk

Quote from: antonis on December 11, 2014, 07:09:33 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why I did that as you can see, I list uF, nF, and pF values for each cap value on my other drawers.

Quote from: duck_arse on December 11, 2014, 09:03:58 AM

codemonk, I hate to tell you, but some of your "pals" are actually cable ties. your setup looks remarkably like mine, right down to the soldering iron.

[I have a glow-in-the-dark teenage ninja turtle, tassie devils, plastic duck and plastic alligator as my pals. and some rocks.]

Some of my "pals" are into S&M :)

ashcat_lt

I use the bags in which they arrive from Mouser.  Already labeled with values and everything, except the ink wears off pretty easily, so after a while I have to bust out the Sharpie.

davent

5x3" ziploc bags and  cut down Ikea cardboard magazine holder or cereal box... will hold thousands of resistors, one bag per value.

dave

'
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/