Sockets Transistors not on schematic...

Started by Demias, December 11, 2014, 07:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demias

New to the forum and currently building my first pedal (Fuzz Type)

I've gotten everything on the board according to the schematic but I'm left with the socket transistors and I have no idea where they go.

Any input would be appreciated.

Here is the schematic and parts left over

Links to photos as I can't seem to load them on here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71454187@N06/QPAGLE
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71454187@N06/869cQ3

Demias

Would they all fit on q1 and q2?

Or do I just pick one for each side depending on what I'm looking for?

Buzz

One goes in Q1, and another goes in Q2. A Fuzz face only uses two transistors.

Looks like you have a variety to play with.

Can you read the numbers on the transistors?

Maybe the nice peeps here can suggest a good combo.

Use sockets and you can swap them around til you get the sound you like best.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

Demias

Okay that makes a bit more sense.

I can make the numbers out on a couple of them, I'll have to find a magnified glass for the others.

duck_arse

magnifying glass or not, find the numbers on the transistors, then look up the datasheets, make sure they are suitable parts (probably any npn will work, some better than others) and CHECK THE PINOUTS.

also, by my rekoning, C2 as shown on your circuit diagram is drawn backwards. (+) should be towards the transistor base.
don't make me draw another line.

Demias

Quote from: duck_arse on December 12, 2014, 09:03:41 AM
magnifying glass or not, find the numbers on the transistors, then look up the datasheets, make sure they are suitable parts (probably any npn will work, some better than others) and CHECK THE PINOUTS.

also, by my rekoning, C2 as shown on your circuit diagram is drawn backwards. (+) should be towards the transistor base.

How sure are you that it's backwards?

Also, when it mentions thats C4 and C5 are optional, would I still need to put a jumper wire there to complete the circuit?

Kipper4

Just miss out the cap c4 c5 I don't think there's a need for jumper. The circuit should work fine without.
I think D.A has a point that C2 looks backwards. I'm no expert with fuzzy or discrete designs.
Here's another NPN fuzz face. Compare the input cap
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface/fuzzfacenpnschematic.gif
Hope you get it working
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

as drawn, the (+) end of C2 is connected to a 1k resistor, then to a 1M resistor connected to ground. that end of the cap is held to 0V ie ground. the other end of C2 is connected to the base of Q1 and a 100k resistor, which is feeding it a positive bias voltage derived from Q2 emitter.

C4 and C5 are high-freq taming caps, no? (I closed the dropbox page, it was annoying me too much). don't short those with a link or yr transistor won't work. put them in or leave them out.
don't make me draw another line.

Demias

Quote from: duck_arse on December 14, 2014, 09:08:54 AM
as drawn, the (+) end of C2 is connected to a 1k resistor, then to a 1M resistor connected to ground. that end of the cap is held to 0V ie ground. the other end of C2 is connected to the base of Q1 and a 100k resistor, which is feeding it a positive bias voltage derived from Q2 emitter.

C4 and C5 are high-freq taming caps, no? (I closed the dropbox page, it was annoying me too much). don't short those with a link or yr transistor won't work. put them in or leave them out.

Yes C4 and C5 are taming caps.

From what I gather the C2 is in the right direction.

I'm getting no power/continuity (o.1 volts max down stream of my LED. Can I simply jumper it to see if the rest will power up?
I'm receiving 0.2V at both of my pots (wired backwards maybe because they don't adjust the sound at all when plugged in)
C4 getting 5V on one connection and 0.2V on the other
C5 is getting 4.5V on each side