First build debugging - only hum when bypassed, hum and effect when not bypassed

Started by kpfeif, December 13, 2014, 04:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpfeif

This is my first build...I've dabbled in electronics before but never built an effect.

I used the Halo PCB from AION Electronics to build a BMP of the Creamy Dreamer variety.  When it's bypassed, I'm getting zero clean signal and all hum.  When it's not bypassed I'm getting effect signal but with a lot of hum.

It is powered via a 9mm  jack.  The input and output mono Jacks are the enclosed insulated ones.

There's obviously some funky grounding thing going on...the switch seems to be wired correctly.  According to the directions up the Jacks are grounded to the enclosure, but I'm not sure how that would happen....there's no physical connection between the two.

What's the first culprit I should look at?

Seljer

Yep, all that hum point to you missing a ground for sure.

If it's not grounded through the enclosure add a wire that goes from sleeve to sleeve of the input/output jacks.

Then verify that your battery/power supply ground is also connected to the audio ground.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

kpfeif

Yes, it's an aluminum enclosure.  I'll tie the two sleeves together tomorrow morning with an aligator jumper wire  tomorrow morning. 

The current ground ties the input sleeve to the board and to the switch.."star grounding" according to the instructions.

Stand by, and thank you for the help so far.

Seljer

Another option for a load of hum is that the ground is present, but the signal is left floating. If that is the case, I'd suspect something wrong with the switch's wiring.

kpfeif

Ok, I think I have it.

I did connect a ground from sleeve to sleeve, and things seemed to work a bit.  There seemed to be a lot of problems still.

I ended up pulling the switch out...I think I burned up one of the lugs on the thing. I took a new switch, then, instead of soldering the wires directly onto it, I instead soldered the wires onto the little micro 3PDT bypass PCBs that Aion Electronic sells.  Then, when everything was set, I soldered the bypass PCB to the switch. 

Success.  Things are as quiet as they should be. 

Thanks, all for the help.   I can see this little hobby can get a bit addicting...it takes a success first!

Kris