Fit a spline knob on solid shaft pot?

Started by philiph, December 17, 2014, 08:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philiph

Is that possible?

I've normal solid shaft pots, but the knobs only take splined pots.
These neve style knobs are the only one I could find cheap.

Any adapters or trick to make them fit?

Something like this, but then the other way around :P
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=zsehBp9F3j3kYeExEkVzgoX0O/product/BSH/Guitar-Bass-Control-Pot-Adapter-Bushings-2.html

R.G.

That's a problem, all right.

If it were me, I would decide whether to sacrifice the knobs to keep the pots or to sacrifice the pots to keep the knobs. If you're only hung up on this conundrum because one of them was cheap, that's a different problem

The obvious way to do this is to drill out the knob recesses to fit the shafts. That then introduces the issue of how to hold the knob to the shaft well enough to turn the shaft with the knob, but loosely enough that the knob can be removed for servicing. If you are sure you'll never, ever (well, OK, almost never) need to remove the knobs, glue them onto the shafts once the knobs have been bored out. If you're not sure, well, that's a problem.

I think of my time as being worth $50-100/hour, and if I can save an hour for $50, I pay the money and use the hour for stuff I REALLY want to do , even if that's just work on other electronics. Of course, I had a very different view of this back when I had no money, and the only way to get stuff was to trade my time for it. I'm also at a point in my life where I realize that if I'd spent all those hours doing electronic design practicing guitar, I could by now play the darn thing.

And that's the reasoning for the first advice: figure out whether you want to keep the knobs or the pots and trade out the other one. And take the life lesson that you have to carefully evaluate what is "cheap". Cheap stuff can force more expensive decisions.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

philiph

Thanks for your answer.
I will probably sacrifice the knobs. They were really dirt cheap.
Im going to try to drill them out and see what happens.

And after that try to drill something like this in:
http://www.don-audio.com/Set-Screw-and-steel-inlay-DIY-kit-for-our-Marconi-Style-knobs

If I fail i will just order different knobs :)

Thanks for the advice! :)

KazooMan

If you try RG's approach you could use hot melt glue.  You would probably be able to heat the knob up enough to loosen the glue for removal.  You might need to roughen up the shaft a bit to allow the glue something to grab onto.

tonyharker

Drill them out about 1mm smaller than the shaft diameter. They will then be a force fit and wont slip.

Digger1770

I have done this with several reclaimed knobs. Plastic knobs I use a faulty pot and just heat the shaft and melt it into the knob. Other knobs I drill out as suggested then I  have a faulty pot that I have polished the shaft with metal polish to be super smooth, I put a small amount of epoxy in the hole then insert polished shaft smeared with light oil and when the epoxy dries you can remove the shaft. Perfect fit with flat edge. ;D
Cheers Dave

davent

Depending on the material the pot's made from and after you've drilled for the round shaft, rather then the metal insert and set screw, you may be able to simply drill and tap for an appropriately size set screw.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

zombiwoof

Gluing or melting the knob onto the shaft would be a problem when you need to remove the pot.  I'd just get either the correct knobs or the correct pots.

Al