MXR Distortion II mods

Started by goldenmonkeycolor, December 17, 2014, 10:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenmonkeycolor

I have a friend that wanted a smashing pumpkins in a box type pedal, so i told him i could put an IC muff and an mxr distortion ii into one box.  I ended up ordering a PCB from rullywow and built it up.

a few things- this circuit has wayyyyy too much bass.  when you turn up the resonance control it seems like it was meant for 6 string bassists heh. 

I know I could replace c2 (1uf cap) with something smaller  to decrease bass, or maybe increase r14 the 75k resistor after the resonance control.  but what about those two 35n caps after the resonance pot (c8 c9)

this schematic calls for a 500k audio pot for the filter control.  most of the action is found in the last 15% of the sweep.  i know i should just try to swap myself, but i have a history of major problems removing PC mounted pots- I know i will lift the solder pads if I remove a pot twice. Would you guys think reverse audio or linear would be a better choice?

antonis

Linear pot is convenient replacement for log or rev log (with a middle "loss" of action..)

In your case, I think that you have to choose a reverse audio pot to have better responce in the 75% (rough) of the sweep..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

goldenmonkeycolor

Quote from: antonis on December 18, 2014, 05:41:33 AM
Linear pot is convenient replacement for log or rev log (with a middle "loss" of action..)

In your case, I think that you have to choose a reverse audio pot to have better responce in the 75% (rough) of the sweep..

Thanks!  I'll try reverse first- thatll possibly save me some solder pads and a headache at least!