Does the Noisy Cricket sound well with effect pedals?

Started by M23Bomber, December 29, 2014, 08:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M23Bomber

Hello All,

I am currently considering building a Noisy Cricket because I saw lot of online footage about it and read lot of positive reviews. I'm not going to build it as speaker driver, more as a headphone amp.

Before starting I'm just considering all possibilities.

One of them is that I have couple of ready build boards that I didnt  enclose yet ( a Big Muff , a BSIAB2 and Reverb pedal from valve wizard  also have a delay) Im wondering if anyone has tried to complete a Noisy Cricket with pedals in the same enclosure and has some recommendations or advices?

I have a couple of enclosures new and one to recycle, but I fit 3 boards easily inside it.

Does any one also have advice for  better head decoupling region from the LM386 to the headphones?

Also does any one heat sink the LM386?

Thank you,
M.

kaycee

I have one built into a lunch tin with a little speaker inside as well. I use it to test pedals rather than firing up the valve amps just to find that the pedal has a problem or doesn't even pass signal. I find it a good guide as to how a circuit will sound through a bigger amp, maybe I've just got used to it? I also use it as a practice amp. Mine has an overdrive built into it, an Electra circuit which works quite nice, but I think that a reverb is a good idea too.

M23Bomber

Hello Kaycee,

Thank you for the Electra suggestion, it seems to be a really non space consuming idea,and easily true "bypassable", the reverb will be added for sure.

By big bigger amp you mean bigger speakers? I know its a bit of trouble but can you please post a sound sample from it blasting thru your amp?

Is it  possible, Im wondering,  to run it thru a Marshall solid state power amp (lil 10 watter that was stripped)   that I have laying around? I will test .

Regards,
M.

kaycee

Although I did wire in a speaker out, I only tried it once with my Classic 30. It worked and drove the speaker, thats about all I remember of it, i was kind of nervous of damaging the Classic 30 in some way, plus it wasn't what i built the Cricket for. My NC has a little radio speaker wired into the box and I just use it as a 'combo'. I've had it years now and still like it, very convenient, otherwise I'd have to of got one of those little transistor practice amps.

sajy_ho

Yeah it does sound good, as long as your effects output is in the guitar level.
Life is too short for being regretful about it.

jimilee

I used mine with the 10" line six speaker that lives in my floor monitor. Sounds really good, and very ideal for testing out pedals.