SMD code nightmare!

Started by armdnrdy, December 30, 2014, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

It's an over simplification, but my take on SMD codes is that they may as well be random, excepting perhaps for resistors.

They're not random, of course. Each manufacturer has certain labeling schemes that they use, but I believe that they are not standard across manufacturers, and perhaps are not published.

The approach I've taken is to identify what kind of part the thing is, and guess at its pinout and function from the circuit around it. Only then do I start looking at codes, once It's quasi-identified.

The toughest for me are the four- and six-pin devices. They might be multi-transistors, might be one- or two-gate logic devices.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

armdnrdy

With the mass commercial use of SMD components being "fairly new", and the production of such components being in it's relative infancy as well, I am amazed that the opportunity to implement an across the board coding system (such as for resistors) was allowed to pass on by!

I attribute it to "not really mattering after the fact." The SM part has to be identified by the manufacturer of the equipment or device, and then it really doesn't matter. No one is going to repair the circuit board.

Electronic equipment with surface mount components is not troubleshot and repaired. A new board is installed, or the equipment is replaced. There is no money in troubleshooting and repairing such things as phones and ipads that are populated robotically and vapor phase soldered at a minimal production cost.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Quote from: baklavametal on January 10, 2015, 09:16:11 AM
woohoo
im relly looking forward to your results as carbon copy remains my favorite delay ever

This one is going to take a while!
The board is very densely populated. I'll have to dismantle quite a bit of the components to trace the circuit correctly.
There are many unmarked SMD capacitors that will have to be removed to measure accurately.

At least there are no "mystery" components any longer! Most components are garden variety parts. MN3208, TL062, SA571, CD4047, 2N5089, and now 2N3904 & 2N3906.

The CC does contain one SMD IC (MC33178) that isn't extremely common. Luckily, it is produced in a through hole DIP-8 package. The MC33178 is a high performance, low noise, dual op amp. This IC can be sourced on the net.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

PRR

I suspect that much SMD is "not individually labeled for retail sale". That the full ID is on the box/roll that the product factory puts in their robot-stuffer.The marks on each individual SMD "may" help the SMD maker get the right rolls in the right boxes, but it does not have to be a complete or public marking to do that.
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

I agree Paul.

An electronics manufacturer can order quantities of components from a supplier, take note of the markings...or as you stated markings on the box or spool, and be good to go. No thought put in for the end user possibly repairing the device.

The electronic device manufacturer is in possession of all of the pertinent information needed for repairs. (schematic, component list including designations) The end user or electronics repair person is on his own.

This brings me to a thought I had yesterday. 

We often see non op. (out of warranty) effect pedals "brought" to this site for repairs...often with positive results!
If components can't be identified, that throws a whole new monkey wrench into the scheme of things. The effect pedal owner is left with two options...send the pedal back to the manufacturer for repairs/replacement at a price, or discard the pedal and purchase a new one.

I am a "hands on" individual. I have been repairing, or attempting to repair things that I have owned since I was a child.
The MXR Carbon Copy averages around $150.00 retail.
I am not a big fan of throwing something in the trash that I purchased for $150.00 because an unidentified 50 cent part went bad!

This issue sheds a whole new light on SMD! or should I say...fills the sky with dark clouds!

Govmnt_Lacky

Larry,

I have heard that another problem with some of the CCs is that the SMD electro caps have a tendency to break away and fall off the PCB. Be careful  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 11, 2015, 10:47:55 AM
Larry,

I have heard that another problem with some of the CCs is that the SMD electro caps have a tendency to break away and fall off the PCB. Be careful  :icon_eek:

Hey Greg,

Looking at this board...I don't see how that could be physically possible...unless there was a problem in the wave/reflow soldering process.
One would think that an issue such as that (partially soldered components) would be caught in Q.C.