No bypass signal + distorted effect v6 EHX 'Mistress 1981

Started by tj7, December 30, 2014, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tj7

Hi there,

Just bought one of these:

http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/electric-mistress-v6.shtml

I believe some damage has taken place in transit because there is no signal coming through the pedal when it is not engaged and when the pedal is engaged, the flanger effect is distorted.  

So that's two probs I have no idea how to resolve.  I would have thought perhaps the trim pots needed adjusting re the distortion issue, but as you can see with this late version of the pedal, there are no visible trim pots for me to adjust.

I have found the same prob whether the pedal is running by battery or external power supply.

Help appreciated so I can take some advise to my techie.

Ben

ps before anyone suggests it I have also posted at EHX, vintage amp forums and TDPRI....

Dave W

the photo in the link you posted shows 3 trimpots. adjust the bbd bias for minimum distortion and that may/should fix the distortion. if it's still distorted there may be another problem.
then check the bypass switch for loose wires. if the leads are all good you might have to replace it.
UTSF for loads of mistress related stuff (bias info) and troubleshooting info.

*UTSF= UseTheSearchFunction
That's where it's at.

tj7

Thanks!
Ah, so the trimpots are accessible *beneath* the board as opposed to the other versions.  I will check those, then.
I presume the bypass switch is around where the footswitch is - if not, can you point me in the right direction (or upload an idiot proof pic of that circuitry circling where it is)?  I can do basic soldering if necessary and maybe I can get this sorted without going to my local tech guy...  I appreciate your help!

Quote from: Dave W on December 30, 2014, 10:19:51 PM
the photo in the link you posted shows 3 trimpots. adjust the bbd bias for minimum distortion and that may/should fix the distortion. if it's still distorted there may be another problem.
then check the bypass switch for loose wires. if the leads are all good you might have to replace it.
UTSF for loads of mistress related stuff (bias info) and troubleshooting info.

*UTSF= UseTheSearchFunction

Fender3D

If you have no signal when in "bypass", BBD's bias should not be guilty...

Check out IC1(a) or IC4(d).
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

tj7

Ok, so I found a broken wire which explains the lack of bypass signal.
However, no matter what I did with the trim pots, the effect signal is always slightly distorted.  Sigh.
In any case, I have to take it to a tech to look at - the whole thing is shaky.  Every time I touch the circuit board the effect signal
crackles or cuts out or gets louder or whatever.  The whole unit needs looking at.   If anyone knows what the distortion issue might be, please let me know...