My AMZ Booster vero build - bypass problems.

Started by steveyraff, January 08, 2015, 02:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

Just a couple of usual noob questions for you all. Think this is about the 3rd pedal I've built now, so I'm still getting used to my off board wiring! I picked this build because it was basic and hoped that I'd have no problems - but as always... !

The boost itself sounds great - I'm really happy with the sound and I hope to add a couple of mods (phat switch and tone control) when I get these few issues ironed out.

I think so far, the main problem I have is that it doesn't seem to be true bypassing properly. When the pedal is not engaged, it sounds a little duller than it does compared to when I plug straight in to the amp.

I think I've probably just done something wrong with the 3PDT switch wiring etc. I've attached a photo but I know my sloppy work won't be very easy to see, so my apologies for this. If anyone can see anything fairly obvious - let me know.  I used this wiring guide: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

Heres the build: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/amz-mini-booster.html

As you'll see, I also I ended up socketing two components because at the time I wasn't sure about their polarity.

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

peterg

Looks like the wire from the centre lug of the volume pot is going to the jack instead of the switch. It should go to the lug switch lug on the lower right in the photos.

steveyraff

Quote from: peterg on January 08, 2015, 02:37:43 PM
Looks like the wire from the centre lug of the volume pot is going to the jack instead of the switch. It should go to the lug switch lug on the lower right in the photos.

Ya know, I did think that - because that lug is labelled as output. I did try touching that lug andnothing happened and I only seemed to get signal when I touched the output jack with the output wire. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

Ok - so I did that and it seems to be true bypassing properly now.

Just a few other little things to iron out, if someone can help me out here. When the pedal is engaged and its ON, the LED does light up, but as soon as I plug my guitar jack cable into it, the LED goes out. Why would this be?!

The pedal is definitely on, and sounds very nice - but the LED will not go on any time the guitar is plugged into the pedal. As soon as I take the guitar lead out, the LED goes back on.

Second issue - there seems to be some sort of signal problem still. At higher settings, I get a nice crunch sound, but when I attack a chord it sounds like there is major compression clipping my attack. Hard to describe. On my initial hit of the strings, there is a sudden and brief drop of volume. Sort of like the effect you hear when you apply compression to heavily. You can hear it dipping in volume with each chord/string hit. What could this be ? ?

Thanks all!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

peterg

Re the LED issue: double check the wiring at the power jack. If you are not using a battery snap then the middle lug of the jack should not be used. All power wires should go to the lug furthest from the ground lug. Also a stereo input jack is not needed if you are not using a battery snap. I can't comment on the second issue.

steveyraff

Quote from: peterg on January 09, 2015, 10:48:00 AM
Re the LED issue: double check the wiring at the power jack. If you are not using a battery snap then the middle lug of the jack should not be used. All power wires should go to the lug furthest from the ground lug. Also a stereo input jack is not needed if you are not using a battery snap. I can't comment on the second issue.

Thanks as always.

I think it's working perfectly now - however I am being greedy and want to add a few mods to it. Firstly, I added a tone control but its not working for me. The only way I've successfully added it to correctly work, I am back to the same problem of the pedal no longer true bypassing. So I must be hooking it up wrong.

I made this tone control, the one built on to a pot: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/BigMuffToneControl/

Can someone please advise me the correct way to add this to my booster circuit? I am obviously not connecting my IN/OUT/GROUND to the correct points.

Also, I wanted to add this: http://www.muzique.com/news/mini-booster-fat-and-fatter/

Thanks for all the help :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk