Another Noob Question - Film Vs Ceramic disc Caps

Started by Neta, January 09, 2015, 10:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Quote from: duck_arse on January 14, 2015, 09:03:36 AM
something like food

That modifier is indeed required if you're going to use that noun.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

anotherjim

Quote from: davent on January 13, 2015, 07:17:41 PM
In this sport i don't think i've ever seen the pads/spaces for the small ceramic decoupling caps as close to the op amp pins as possible (and I believe always recommended) on any pcb or layout. I soldered then to the sockets as an easy fix/addition for the op amps going on a purchased pcb.

(Curry covered grains of rice.)
There used to be -  maybe still is, a range of IC sockets with a 100nF axial multilayer ceramic ready fitted between the power pin (assumed to be 28,20,16,14 etc) and the ground pin (14,10,8,7..). I doubt they came in 8pin size though, since they were aimed at TTL & CMOS.
...but, with a socket which has some space in the middle, you can easily fit one yourself.
On perfboard, I try to run a wire from the ground pin up, thru the middle to the first holes past the chip, and fit the ceramic cap from that to the power pin. With 8pin amp's and radial caps, a cap wire is often long enough to form the wire to ground.

Power decoupling is a bit like throwing salt over your shoulder for luck. If you always do it, you'll never know if it does any good.

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

R.G.

Well, I have long experience with dogs, having had Golden Retrievers for nearly 30 years. Dogs will eat anything that vaguely resembles food.

And many things that don't vaguely resemble food.

So even if they vaguely resemble corn, the dogs don't care.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

And dogs will eat corn even if they can't digest it - corn comes out of a dog looking the same as when it went in.

GGBB

Quote from: amptramp on January 16, 2015, 10:45:09 AM
And dogs will eat corn even if they can't digest it - corn comes out of a dog looking the same as when it went in.

Apparently I can't digest corn either, and neither can anyone I know with whom this topic has come up in conversation (thankfully that's not a lot of people).
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Makes me worry about what "corn dogs" really are:

Hopefully they are not a dog "product".

duck_arse

back to the topic at hand .....

sadly, it seems, we do have a similar-style food product. they appear sometime around easter, at the sydney "royal easter show". called "dagwood dogs" or sometimes "pluto pups", they are regurgitated by small children complete with stick and tomata sauce. see pic.

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.