ways to "spice up" a pedal

Started by acehobojoe, January 09, 2015, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acehobojoe

what are some interesting things you've done before to make a boring pedal awesome? :D thought it could be a cool discussion.

JFace

Put an active eq before and/or after the circuit

Change the active components

Change clipping method (change diodes, remove them, move them)

Tweak component values for more/less gain or more/less bass

Use as a paper weight

Put it in my workbench drawer, find it four years later, don't remember what it is, try it, and stand amazed why I haven't used this all these years

acehobojoe

R.G.

Seriously - as Jface says, get yourself a cheapo stereo graphic equalizer off craigslist. Put one channel before the pedal, one channel after it, and start playing and twiddling the settings.

But be prepared to lose a weekend, as each setting will be more wondrous - or just disgusting - than the last. EQ before and after the clipping is in many ways more important that the actual clipping.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PBE6

+1

I actually did this, and it was a real eye-opener, especially with the lower frequencies.

*One note, if you pick up a cheap stereo rack mount unit, you will need to boost your guitar signal before feeding it to the pre-EQ stage.

Mark Hammer

Add an envelope-controlled parameter.

If you can split/tap the signal near the input, before the pedal "does something" to the signal, and feed that to a rectifier stage, like the one found in the Dr.Q, you can use the output of the rectifier to drive and LED, and use that LED to control a photocell, placed wherever you think it might be interesting in the circuit.

F'rinstance, I took a basic Phase 90 circuit, set up an envelope follower in that manner, and placed the photocell in parallel with the Speed control, such that when I dig in, the speed increases, gradually settling down when I ease back on the picking.  But you could use it for things like tremolo depth, or phaser/flanger resonance/feedback, and a host of other things.

cloudscapes

-wet dry blend does a lot, especially on fuzzes
-resonant filter on some is a no-brainer
-some kind of modulation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

GGBB

Hmmm... I was thinking of suggesting a fancy sticker or two, but I won't now because the answers so far are way smarter.  :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

Ha ha....have you ever seen that psychedelic 'oil dip' swirl painting?

You take a small bucket of water, lower your pedal in it (no electronics, lol!) on a coat hanger.

Add a few drops of (enamel; oil based) model paint...like, red, black, yellow or what have you....move the paint around with a stick until it looks cool...slowly pull the pedal up thru it so the film sticks to it.    Let dry.  Clear coat. 

Dispose of water responsibly...I filter it thru a coffee filter to remove the paint.   Just takes 4,5 drops per color.

The 60s Live! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

tca

Try a Steiner filter it can do LP, HP and BP (or a Moog ladder filter, only LP) after and before a basic distortion well known unit. Play with the resonance parameter and frequency...   you will be amazed!

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

acehobojoe

what are some good ways for band passing with caps, got any links to cool things?

R.G.

The interesting band passes will usually involve an active device - transistor or opamp - to sharpen up what the cap does.

Look at one-transistor gyrators and the several threads on parametric and graphic EQs recently. Or just search for "gyrator".
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Brisance

Add an LFO or envelope follower to one or more of the parameters.

FiveseveN

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

davent

Cayenne sprinkled liberally on wet clearcoat.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

GGBB

Quote from: davent on January 10, 2015, 07:36:09 PM

Dave - I don't think the topic title was meant to be taken literally. :D
  • SUPPORTER

rousejeremy

Quote from: GGBB on January 10, 2015, 09:06:55 PM
Quote from: davent on January 10, 2015, 07:36:09 PM

Dave - I don't think the topic title was meant to be taken literally. :D

It's probably a trick he uses to get those great finishes.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

davent

It will be put to the test!

Tumeric for shades of yellow, paprika and cayenne for the reds, chili flakes, basil, oregano, coffee grounds and tea leaves, ground pepper, it's play time...

Have tried using salt.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

CodeMonk

Below is a 2P6T rotary switch.
Currently shown its only using 1 pole.
First one I built used both poles, each side had capacitors of various values (IIRC : 0.01uF, 0.015uF, 0.022uF, 0.047uF, 0.1uF, 0.22uF)  which I used with a Jordan Bosstone to change the input and output capacitors.

Heres a trace if you want to make your own (Yeah, its kinda sloppy looking but it does its job).

This is the switch I used : http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-2-pole-6-position-rotary-switch/2750034.html#.VLI5rSvF-VA
Smallbear has pretty much the same thing (Without having to cut the shaft) : http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/open-frame-2p6t/

idy

Merkins. The beard has long been a symbol of wisdom and virility.