DIY TZF success with Madbean Current Lover electric mistress

Started by LaceSensor, January 09, 2015, 01:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Someone over at madbean had the smart idea to put a Boss BF-2 in the send and return sockets (normally jumpered) on a madbean electric mistress clone and claimed it sounded like TZF
I decided to replicate his findings with the Cosmichorus, allowing for its extended clock range and fully wet mix control (one has to cut the dry through on over flangers such as the BF-2 to get a full wet mix).

Suffice to say the results are excellent
I might try to build a proper TZF pedal from scratch, working up a BBD daughter board.

It sounds really excellent. tell me what you think?

tried adapting the Lovetone flanger daughter board.
This has disappointing results... :/

DrAlx

The video clip seems to show that zero-point has an accompanying volume drop (i.e. it's subtractive TZF).  If that's the case then the pedal that you put into the send-return is not just delaying the signal for you but inverting it too. 
The daughter board doesn't invert the signal, so you will end up with additive TZF instead.
The zero-point for additive isn't as dramatic an effect because there is no volume drop.  What happens instead is that the notches in the frequency response have shifted so high that you in fact have no notches in the audio spectrum.  See if you can invert the signal from the daughter board (i.e. run it into a simple unity gain inverting buffer) before returning it.

There are some sound samples of additive/subtractive TZF here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107353.0

~arph

Cool, but can anyone give me an example were flanging in a song, especially as prominent as TZF is actually sounding good and not ultra cheesy?  ::)

Scruffie

Quote from: ~arph on January 09, 2015, 04:05:28 PM
Cool, but can anyone give me an example were flanging in a song, especially as prominent as TZF is actually sounding good and not ultra cheesy?  ::)
Small Faces - Itchycoo Park and some Hendrix Tracks... I forget which.

~arph

I'll check them out. Hendrix I've obviously heard.. I think I know what tracks you mean, I think as long as we're outside of the 80's we might find some gems

Scruffie

I honestly can't think of any 80s tracks using it right now... maybe the difference is it sounds better with fuzz (as flangers tend to and is found in those 60s tracks) than high gain distortion the 80s had that maybe make the effect too... focused.

Or... they were all digital units that just sounded cheesy, or it's just your preference, who knows.

LaceSensor

Quote from: DrAlx on January 09, 2015, 03:04:22 PM
The video clip seems to show that zero-point has an accompanying volume drop (i.e. it's subtractive TZF).  If that's the case then the pedal that you put into the send-return is not just delaying the signal for you but inverting it too. 
The daughter board doesn't invert the signal, so you will end up with additive TZF instead.
The zero-point for additive isn't as dramatic an effect because there is no volume drop.  What happens instead is that the notches in the frequency response have shifted so high that you in fact have no notches in the audio spectrum.  See if you can invert the signal from the daughter board (i.e. run it into a simple unity gain inverting buffer) before returning it.

There are some sound samples of additive/subtractive TZF here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107353.0
The dr scientist can flip the polarity and yes I am aware of what you are describing, I own the paradox tzf as a reference point as well,as the Lovetone and Ada designs which have positive and negative feedback for the fat vs hollow flange tones..
I'll probably record another clip with additive tzf from the cosmichorus.

LaceSensor

some people like cheesy

alanp

Flanging works really, really well as a subtle phattening, too, not just WOOOOOOOOOSH.

amptramp

The Big Hurt - Toni Fisher

This is the song that started flanging in 1959:

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Processaurus

Great sounds.  I agree, it sounds like one of the flangers is out of phase with the other, making it cancel when they get close in time shift.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there is an equally interesting sound to be had with the in-phase mixing of the two signals.

I haven't seen anyone do it, but I think there could be a great TZF pedal made with whatever is doing the flanging, and to statically delay the dry signal, use a PT2396 digital delay, which is their chip for short delays.  If you're interested, check out the "easy mode" app circuit on page 11 of the datasheet.  The audio quality with the sigma delta A/D conversion should be quite good, clearer than a BBD, and there's no chance of problems with heterodyning clocks by running two BBD's at similar frequencies on one board.

Boom