FSB Aqua Puss build problem

Started by BDuguay, January 10, 2015, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

I was given a REV2 pcb for this build recently and I've built it but I'm not getting any echo at all after messing with the trim pots. Just dry signal. On top of that, the BBD gets nasty hot to the touch. Should I be getting 8+ volts on pin 8 of the BBD? Any and all help is greatly appreciated as always.
I wish I was more smarter than I am about electronics.... :icon_cry:
B.

Govmnt_Lacky

Are you reading GND on Pin 5?

If so.... you have it in backwards  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

BDuguay

Actually, I'm getting 9.6 vdc at pin 1, and 8.3 vdc at pin 8.
I've checked the chip orientation a number of times.

Govmnt_Lacky

Check Debug thread?

Voltages, links to schem, pics of PCB, etc.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

BDuguay

Here's the scheme.[url]http://www.digitaldestruct.com/images/AquaPuss/AquaPussSchematic.jpg/url]
Here's a board pic[img]http://www.digitaldestruct.com/images/AquaCapComparison.jpgimg]

Govmnt_Lacky

Mark Hammer

Is this a case where a 3005 and 3205 have been swapped without appropriate compensation?

BDuguay

Thanks for the link fix G.L.
It's no surprise I have build problems... I can't even handle the link insert feature. :icon_cry:
To answer your question Mark, no, not as far as I know. I have a few MN3005's so that's why I built this. I know the Madbean Equaboy V2 PCB is set up to accommodate 3005 and 3205 chips by way of jumpering but this board is different.
This board is meant for MN3005's, and is practically identical to the original Way Huge Aqua Puss PCB. The fella that gave me the board had number of them which he says he built successfully.
I honestly appreciate all the help I get here and certainly the patience you people have. I joke about my ineptness but believe me, I try everything I can and know before I have to turn for your help.
Now how do I post the bloody scheme?!?!?!
B.

Scruffie

Where did your MN3005 come from exactly...?

Govmnt_Lacky

newperson

Quote from: Scruffie on January 12, 2015, 02:08:33 PM

I 2nd this to be the place to start.

BDuguay

Quote from: newperson on January 12, 2015, 04:47:37 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 12, 2015, 02:08:33 PM

I 2nd this to be the place to start.
I got them from a friend at work and I tested them in an EH Double Tracking pedal that had a MN3005 in it. They all put out the same delay time.
I thought for sure I read somewhere I could use either a 3101, or 3102 clock chip for this build and since I don't have a 3101, but I do have 3102's, I put that in. This is completely bad correct?
I'm thinking this is the cause of the problems.
Perhaps someone can confirm.
Thanks,
B.

Govmnt_Lacky

BDuguay

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 12, 2015, 05:59:31 PM
3005 + 3102 = BAD
Brian + Soldering iron in Hand = BAD
Now here's the big question until I get me a proper 3101: what are the chances I've damaged the BBD by using the wrong clock chip?
B.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: BDuguay on January 13, 2015, 06:23:46 AM
Now here's the big question until I get me a proper 3101: what are the chances I've damaged the BBD by using the wrong clock chip?

Uggg... I hate to say that the chances are pretty good. Hopefully you got lucky though

Fender3D

Actually you might be lucky...
Vgg and clocks won't easily burn your BBD out, even when stuck at Vcc
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

BDuguay

I have the proper 3101 and finally got time to go at this again. Still no luck. Am I stupid or is it possible the PCB I have is meant for 3205 chips because I have is9.6 volts at pin 1 on the 3005 and .6 volts at pin 8 yet the 3005 data sheet reads pin 1 is GND and 8 is Vgg. I may be in over my head on this one. Help me please.
B.

Scruffie

Quote from: BDuguay on February 16, 2015, 07:01:35 PM
I have the proper 3101 and finally got time to go at this again. Still no luck. Am I stupid or is it possible the PCB I have is meant for 3205 chips because I have is9.6 volts at pin 1 on the 3005 and .6 volts at pin 8 yet the 3005 data sheet reads pin 1 is GND and 8 is Vgg. I may be in over my head on this one. Help me please.
B.
That's correct, the 3005 supply is -15V so to run off +9V its supply gets flipped and Vgg is 14/15th VDD and as VDD is now ground, it's 14/15th above that or .6V

BDuguay

Okay, that makes sense to me a little, thanks for explaining. I'm using a multi turn trimmer for VR1 and I'm thinking its been no where near where it should be from all the adjusting I've done. Is that a possible explanation as to why I'm not getting anything out of the delay chip?
B.

Scruffie

Quote from: BDuguay on February 16, 2015, 11:05:47 PM
Okay, that makes sense to me a little, thanks for explaining. I'm using a multi turn trimmer for VR1 and I'm thinking its been no where near where it should be from all the adjusting I've done. Is that a possible explanation as to why I'm not getting anything out of the delay chip?
B.
Pin 7 should be around half supply to start biasing with VR1 so possibly yes.