Tubescreamer input buffer problem

Started by tinlee, January 11, 2015, 10:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

induction

Quote from: tinlee on January 13, 2015, 04:28:23 AM
QuoteOk. It looks for all the world like the leads of the input cap are plugged into 2b and 2c of the breadboard, but if you're sure they aren't I'll shut up about it.

Yes they are, the schematic says to put them in series! :p

That means the input cap is shorted. The holes in each row of the breadboard are internally connected. Putting both leads of the input cap into the same row means that the input cap is bypassed. This means that you are sending DC current through your pickups, and you are bypassing the hi-pass filter at the circuit input.

Try moving the guitar input and one of the cap legs to the first row and see if that helps.

tinlee

Quote from: induction on January 13, 2015, 05:35:47 AM
Quote from: tinlee on January 13, 2015, 04:28:23 AM
QuoteOk. It looks for all the world like the leads of the input cap are plugged into 2b and 2c of the breadboard, but if you're sure they aren't I'll shut up about it.

Yes they are, the schematic says to put them in series! :p

That means the input cap is shorted. The holes in each row of the breadboard are internally connected. Putting both leads of the input cap into the same row means that the input cap is bypassed. This means that you are sending DC current through your pickups, and you are bypassing the hi-pass filter at the circuit input.

Try moving the guitar input and one of the cap legs to the first row and see if that helps.

Oh god, and idiot of the year award goes to... Thanks so much for pointing that out! Well I can officially say that I have learnt a valuable lesson about breadboards today haha.

It's working like a charm now! I had to sort out all the other caps on the board that were also shorted, doh.

induction

Don't sweat it, we've all been there. I do much dumber things than that on a daily basis.

Glad you got it working.