help with some kill switch questions

Started by doof, January 16, 2015, 02:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doof

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this.  
I'm pretty new to stompbox building and am still learning a lot.  Over the holidays i built this kill switch for a friend who had come up with the idea:

when the toggle switch (illuminated missile switch from sparkfun) is up, it powers a relay that switches the signal to the momentary switch on the right and that acts as a stutter effect.  When the toggle switch is down, the relay goes back to it's default position and grounds the signal and kills everything completely.  

I've had a few more people ask me to build them the same thing.  one person in particular asked if it were possible that when the toggle switch is down, if the momentary could then just be pressed once to kill the signal, and then pressed again to activate the signal again (to change guitars between songs, etc).  I did some research and i though using mammoth's clickless true bypass kit was the answer.  

i'm not having much luck getting this to work.  i can have one or the other working just fine, but when they're both hooked up to the momentary switch i have issues.   When i hooked it up the way i initially did the toggle switch off-position (click true bypass active) worked as expected and kills the signal.  but then when the toggle switch is flipped up, there's a drastic volume drop and very loud popping every time i press the momentary switch.  

if i disconnect power to the clickless true bypass, then the stutter effect works fine - no volume drop and no popping.  Can anyone provide me some insight as to what i might be doing wrong?  i'm sure it'd be helpful if i had a drawing of the layout, but i just haven't go one made up at the moment and i need to head to bed soon.  I can provide any necessary information tomorrow.  

second question:  i talked to the person who wanted this, and they said if i can't get it to work, then he'd want a 3pdt stomp switch instead of the toggle... one position kills the signal, the other routes it through the momentary to act as a stutter.  is there a layout somewhere of how to wire this up in a way that would eliminate noise or popping?  I have tried searching but am not having any luck.  I appreciate your patience with me and also any help you could provide!

Brisance

samhay

If you want to go with your final option, it might help to look here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=109554.0
Not sure that anybody has built any of these, but they shouldn't pop any more than a 'normal' true bypass switch. If they do, I would imagine that can be sorted.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

duck_arse

"a" way to do it would be with a boss-style flip flop, which can be simply modded (with a toggle switch) so that it is latching on/off (for instrument changes) or momentary (only on when pressed (or only off when pressed, equally)). the momentary drives the f/f, f/f drives the relay, all is tikkety-boo, done.
don't make me draw another line.