Stereo output?

Started by canman, January 16, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canman

I noticed my MXR chorus has stereo outputs...is this something that can easily be done in DIY pedal building?  Seems like a pretty useful feature depending on your setup.

I've done some searching but haven't really found what I'm looking for.  I assume you'd need some sort of circuitry to boost the signal so you could cut it in half and send it to two outputs?

ashcat_lt

You can usually split the output of most of our pedals to a couple of reasonably high Z inputs without needing to boost it first, but that's not really what I'd call stereo. 

Most often when something like a chorus has a stereo output, it does it one of a couple ways:

1) Send the effected signal to one output and the dry signal to another.  My Boss Chorus works this way.  When both outputs are in use, one output is actually just a vibrato (not mixed with clean, so not actually chorus), and the other is just straight through.

B) Split the effected signal, invert one copy, then mix each with a copy of the dry signal.  My DOD Flanger works this way.  If you mix the two signals back to mono, you get a louder version of the dry signal because the modulated delay signal cancels out.  If you invert one of the outputs and then mix them, you get only the modulated delay line, because the dry cancels.

Both of these are kind of faking it, though.  A "real" stereo chorus in my mind would have separate vibrato lines for each output, with the LFO for the one out of phase (90 or 180 degrees probably) from the other so that as one goes up the other goes down, but that's like building two pedals!

canman

Well...interesting for sure, but probably not worth doing, haha.  Thanks for the explanation!  I'll stick to simple...less mistakes can be made that way :D