Check my work please.. Master On/Off

Started by avenger7326, January 16, 2015, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avenger7326

I'm hoping someone could check my work.

I'm a complete beginner with building stompboxes and decided to make my first build a ZVex SHO copy.

This is a link to the wiring diagram I put together from sources on the web.
http://s375.photobucket.com/user/avenger7326/media/SHOwithharness_zps43d80fe3.png.html

Now I absolutely hate have to unplug my pedals to conserve battery and is the reason I dont use them whenever possible.  I figure if I'm building this pedal I can fix that problem by installing a master On/Off switch with master power LED indicator. With the power switch on the pedal will function like any true bypass effect with the 3PDT switch turning the effect on and off. With the switch off the circuit will be off, no signal and more importantly no power drain.

This is a link to the revised wiring diagram I came up with which adds a master SPST switch, master LED indicator, and a 2K2 led resistor
http://s375.photobucket.com/user/avenger7326/media/SHOwithmasterswitch_zpsb2e50e57.png.html

The way photobucket is set up you can just click the image to cycle back and forth between the two diagrams and see the additions.

I understand adding a master switch like this isn't rocket science but as a total beginner I'd appreciate someone proofreading my work.  Maybe I got it right, maybe kinda right, maybe its as wrong as wrong could be.  I did my best and appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

peterg

Welcome to the forum! There are a couple of thing I'll point out. The ground wire from the power jack should be connected to the ring of the input jack. Connecting it to the sleeve will keep it grounded all the time if you are using a metal box. The input jack sleeve should be connected to ground. You may want to connect this ground wire to the output jack ring since connecting more than one wire a foot switch lug is a bit of a chore IMO. Also a 2.1 power jack is typical - not 2.5.  If you are using a toogle switch then an led is not needed since the position of the switch will indicate on or off. If you are not using an led adding a spst switch to the ground between the power jack and input jack ring will work. If you want the led then, I believe you need a dpdt switch. Power the led via the resistor andd connect the led neg to the switch using the second pole. Connect the other lug of the second pole to ground.

avenger7326

Thanks a lot peter!

First off thanks for pointing out the 2.5mm DC, I know that isn't right and must have made a typo.  As for the ground off the DC jack going to the ring terminal on the input I made that change and looked up some more info online and made a couple other changes (apparently I had some wrong information that I was using).

As far as the master switch goes I understand an LED isn't necessary as the position of the switch is in itself the indicator but I do want one (who doesn't want more shiny lights lol) I looked up info and do believe its possible with a SPST switch (although not the way I originally had it)

I made some revisions to the wiring diagram and believe this is correct
http://s375.photobucket.com/user/avenger7326/media/SHOwithmasterswitch_zps182b8938.png.html?sort=3&o=0

If someone could double check this as I am a total beginner I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

peterg

Looks right to me. I'm sure you coould fit the on/off led resistor on the board.

Grounding the circuit when its off is a good practice. Run a wire or discarded component lead from the unused foot switch lug to the circuit input lug. Contradicts my earlier recommendation of not using more than one wire per lug I know. Component leads take up very little space.

avenger7326

Awesome thanks.. I'll be putting the On/Off Led on the board (kept it separate on the diagram so I could make better sense of it) and I'll take your advise and ground the circuit to the unused footswitch lug. Thanks alot! Looks like its time to start building my first stompbox.