Is this Isolated Power?

Started by Esscaster, January 17, 2015, 12:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esscaster

Hey there, first post and excited to start modding stompboxes and building my own. 

Guess the first q is I got this thing that came with a Fuchs amp I used to have: 

It powered pedals through the guitar cable (phantom power) and was called phantom
power P3 or something like that.  It was designed to eliminate the need to have extension
cords or anything like that coming in and old of your pedalboard, but as your amp and pedals
had to be modified to provide and accept this kind of power, it seemed like a very roundabout
way to address what I think most people would consider a minor inconvenience.

Never really used it and don't have the Fuchs anymore, but lately I've found out about
the importance of eliminating ground loops and was first off wondering if the below would
indeed provide isolated power.  It seems like each outlet has its own ground, but being a newb
at this I'm not totally sure...

So I guess the first question is, does it provide isolated power?

As you can see I clipped the wires that connect it to the input jack and used a 9v battery
to test it out and the light lit up just fine.  Wondering if I can wire my Boss psc-100 adapter
straight to the board and if so, will it provide "regulated" power to my pedals without blowing
it up.  The power supply is a 9v 250 ma.  As phantom power I thinks 48v, I'm not sure how
this would work...

So for all you power experts, if you can provide me some insight, would greatly appreciate it.

R.G.

Take your DMM, set it to measure ohms. Test the (-) terminals of all the sockets for resistance between them. If they all show low or zero resistance between them, it is not isolated power.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

cloudscapes

no transformers, bridge rectifiers, diodes or semis. so nope
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

PRR

> As phantom power I thinks 48v, I'm not sure how this would work...

P-48 power is one of many-many-many "phantom" standards.

In the same spec are P24 and P12; many "Phantom" microphones will eat these, optionally or don't-care.

My old stereo mike system was 35V phantom.

$1 electret mikes can be worked on 1V phantom.

You have found some specialized special-voltage phantom scheme, probably worked only/mostly for one brand's active guitar.

The side-jacks are not even phantom (no signal on the power cord).

Listen to R.G., do a meter check.

However unless there's more stuff underneath, I say that is common-ground (possible ground-loops), barely separated on the hot side with half-Ohm resistors and small caps. Basically a 5-way Y-cable in a box.
  • SUPPORTER