Quick question for Green Ringer filter mod

Started by CaioAllures, January 19, 2015, 02:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaioAllures

Hello again, I was wondering if I could mod my GG using the JD schematic (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_gro_sc_filter.pdf) but instead of adding the filter to the DPDT I could hook up both the filter and the standard schematic into a SPDT, in a way I could toggle between both of 'em. I don't know if it would bring any benefits to the sound, but I'm learning a lot about switches, so I decided to mod it anyway!

Just another quick question, although I quite don't get the whole electronic behind it, I learned that wiring a 0.01uF cap in parallel with the R12 could add some gain. Could I use one SPST to make that gain work or leaving an open circuit is somewhat risky?

Thanks in advance everyone!

nocentelli

If you wanted a switch to revert to the original schematic, you could use a 3pdt and actually bypass the extra resistor+cap network between the transistors with two poles, and cut the Q1 gain boost with the other pole. The switch on the original schematic allows almost stock green ringer, with just an extra 5k-ish between the transistors.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

CaioAllures

Thank you very much for your reply!

so I guess I didn't quite understand the role of the switch there. The 3PDT itself can make the change for the stock Green Ringer and the on with the filter? Sorry if I misunderstood, but I'm learning all by myself ( and I have to thank this forum a lot ), and I thought the filter mod would change the functionality of the pedal, leaving the original schematic. And what about leaving a bit of the circuit open to toggle the gain, is it to problematic?

Thanks again!

nocentelli

You can have an "open" connection to a component without a problem: it just means that the component is not connected to the circuit, so has no effect. Look at the ggg diagram of the switch, which is drawn with the filter mod engaged. When actuated, it leaves the ground connection to the filter caps open, and leaves the extra gain resistor and cap from the emitter "hanging" but with an open connection to ground so there is no gain boost effect.

Btw, adding a cap in parallel across the output pull-down resistor will not increase gain, but will instead roll some serious treble off the output.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

CaioAllures

I didn't see that 10k equivalent, I was thinking I was going insane with all those infos. And then again, it was some forum topic I saw about the gain, just threw it away now!

So, in the end, I can wire all the thingie just like schematic shows and I'll have a filter acting just like a 10k resistor. BUT what if I want to fiddle with buttons, can I leave one there just to switch between the filter and the clean path through the transistors?

Thank you for all the explaining so far, nocentelli, I appreciate that!