12 volts for the small clone

Started by mrsuspend, January 21, 2015, 08:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsuspend

I recently built and modded the tonepad small clone, and definitely want to run it on 12v as it sounds so much better.
Ideally I'd just like to put a voltage doubler and regulator inside the enclosure, to be able to run it from my 9v pedal board supply.
Would the circuit below be alright if I just stuck a 78L12 on the end? And would the regulator need a sink? The Clone only seems to draw around 10ma or so.
(Sorry about double posting this in the Stompbox and DSP forums, If someone knows how I can delete my post please let me know  :icon_redface:)

Thanks!
/Magnus

antonis

I don't know IC's voltage ripple specification for 10mA load but I presume that the 10μF cap is OK..

You should add a 100nF cap (preferably ceramic) grounding 7805's out...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

A 78L12 of the TO-92 form factor will handle up to 100ma with aplomb, and the Small Clone does not draw anywhere near that, so no heat-sinking required.

I'm curious about what sounds so much better.  I know the Boss BF-1 has a wider sweep using 12vdc than 9vdc, but sweep width is not really any sort of advantage for a chorus. so what sounds "better" to your ears?

mrsuspend

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 21, 2015, 11:17:23 AM
I'm curious about what sounds so much better.  I know the Boss BF-1 has a wider sweep using 12vdc than 9vdc, but sweep width is not really any sort of advantage for a chorus. so what sounds "better" to your ears?

Well, to me it sounded like "taking the lid off", with better highs and more upper-mid presence.
I haven't really analysed the cause for this so I couldn't give you a proper explanation but the audible difference is very obvious.
It's easy enough trying it out, although the LED may not be able to take it... in other respects I'm sure any build could take 12v a few minutes at least. My caps are at 25v or more.
The only things I had to tweak were the resistor values for the tremolo mod and the (pulsating) LED.

/Magnus

mrsuspend

It worked very well and is now inside my Small Clone clone  ::) quietly doing its job. Thanks all!

/Magnus

Kipper4

Did You do the Stereo mod so you can switch the dry for one of the outputs?
I made the small clone and the CE2 with a mod so both outputs where wet. Running two amps, then tried the wet/dry on one output and Dry only on the other and liked it better.
Just curious.
Rich
Is it possible that the added headroom is making it sound better because of psycho acoustic Phenomena ?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

mrsuspend

Quote from: Kipper4 on January 27, 2015, 07:53:33 PM
I made the small clone and the CE2 with a mod so both outputs where wet. Running two amps, then tried the wet/dry on one output and Dry only on the other and liked it better.
Just curious.
Rich
Is it possible that the added headroom is making it sound better because of psycho acoustic Phenomena ?

I'm set up to try the phase inverted stereo mod but  I'm waiting for the pcb from Tonepad.
Psychoacoustics eh? I'd settle for more pronounced treble frequencies and a slight volume boost  :icon_wink:
The effect really is very obvious, at least on my Tonepad build. YMMV!  :icon_smile: Sadly I don't have the technical background to do a cause analysis...

/Magnus

mrsuspend

Quote from: Kipper4 on January 27, 2015, 07:53:33 PM
I've done the Tonepad inverted stereo mod now and I like it a lot, however since the inverted signal is not delayed it's completely mono incompatible- the effect simply cancels itself out.
If you introduced a delay of 10-30ms for the inverted signal it would work much better. Or just use it for live shows...

/Magnus