Tonebender MK II help

Started by TheKingRat, January 22, 2015, 04:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

I'm going to dublicate and clarimafy my own remark: you need to post the voltage (and the pin name) for all three pins of a transistor if you want "the blokes who know" to help.

those blokes don't like guessing at the missing voltage, they are very picky blokes.

also MAKE SURE that the orange electro shown on your board is connected correctly. the black stripe to the battery red looks a recipe for kaboom.
don't make me draw another line.

induction

What are your symptoms now? Sound/no sound? Fuzz/no fuzz?

TheKingRat

Very quiet sound with no fuzz now. Antonis, there are actually three, it's the yellow lead connected to power that's coming from Q2's collector (100k) to the bottom half of the board, then back up. Will get the pin readings now.

antonis

Quote from: TheKingRat on January 23, 2015, 09:19:07 AM
there are actually three, it's the yellow lead connected to power that's coming from Q2's collector (100k) to the bottom half of the board, then back up. Will get the pin readings now.
I suspect that if you disconnect any of the above mentioned leads (or the resistor itself) you will take the same measurement on Q2's collector... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

induction

Quote from: antonis on January 23, 2015, 10:41:28 AM
there are actually three, it's the yellow lead connected to power that's coming from Q2's collector (100k) to the bottom half of the board, then back up. Will get the pin readings now.
I suspect that if you disconnect any of the above mentioned leads (or the resistor itself) you will take the same measurement on Q2's collector... :icon_wink:

I agree. My best guess at this point is a bad connection around Q2 collector or emitter. Try replacing those wires and resistors with new ones.

TheKingRat

Quote from: induction on January 23, 2015, 10:51:59 AM
Quote from: antonis on January 23, 2015, 10:41:28 AM

I agree. My best guess at this point is a bad connection around Q2 collector or emitter. Try replacing those wires and resistors with new ones.

I'll try this. It's so weird because the current is coming through the capacitor between Q1 and Q2 but just stops at Q2. I'll get all those wires and resistors replaced and see how it goes.

antonis

Quote from: TheKingRat on January 23, 2015, 11:20:36 AM
It's so weird because the current is coming through the capacitor between Q1 and Q2 but just stops at Q2.
Hope that you're talking about AC...
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

TheKingRat

Okay so I changed around the resistors and wires. I also changed the 0.1uf cap inbetween Q1 and Q2 for a box capacitor. I've still got very low volume but a very small amount of fuzz is audible now, so there's some progress! I'm reading -

Q1 - C -7.03v
B -7.48v
E -0.07v

Q2 - C -0.01v
B -0.01v
E -0.01v

Q3 - C -0.08v
B -0.08v
E -0.12v

antonis

Propably you've got a defective Q2 (short-circuited) and a not very accurate multimeter..
(Q2's Collector voltage should be EXACTLY the same with Q3's Base voltage..)