Tycobrahe Octavia Output Volume Issue

Started by CT, January 25, 2015, 02:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CT

Hi there,

I'm new building and am having a difficult time getting my recently-built Tycobrahe Octavia to fire up properly. The layout is from Tagboard Effects, and I posted my information and questions there under the author's post, but this seemed like a fantastic resource, so thought I would reach out here for peoples' expertise. I very much appreciate folks taking the time to look through this!

1. What it does/does not do:
Crystal clear signal when in true bypass. When effect is engaged, LED illuminates, but effect sound is almost inaudible unless amp volume is increased significantly. Can hear a nice, disgustingly dirty fuzz effect, but at extremely low volume. Difficult to tell if octave effect is functioning due to such low volume.

2. Name of circuit:
Tycobrahe Octavia

3. Source of the circuit:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/04/tycobrahe-octavia.html

4. Modifications:
None

5. Parts substitutions:
I used a polystyrene cap for the 150pf because I'm an idiot and didn't see the ceramics in that value on smallbear until after I placed my order. It certainly ain't pretty squeezed in next to the Q1 socket and 33u cap, but it seems to be functional. I used a radial 33u for the electrolytic on the right hand side of the board as I didn't have an axial, but I was careful to orient it correctly per the layout. A few different transformer values were listed, but after doing some research I went with the 42TU011 as it seemed to be the most common for this build.

6. Positive ground to negative ground conversion?
No

7. Measurements:
I did not install a battery clip, so I'm using my 1-Spot for power (verified functional based on use with other pedals today), and am measuring a circuit voltage of 9.29V. Planning on installing a battery clip at a later date, so used a 12B jack for the input and have a plug inserted during testing.

Q1 (2N5087) - Oriented per layout spec, not reversed as some have mentioned doing.
C = 2.92
B = 3.61
E = 4.28

Q2 (2N5088)
C = 9.29
B = 2.91
E = 2.35

Q3 (2N5088)
C = 4.92
B = 2.35
E = 9.28

Diode test with DMM to diode 1 (in line with primary 1 on transformer), reads 0.397. diode 2 (in line with primary 3), reads 0.414.

*Not picking up any voltage readings through either diode, the transformer, nor the 100n cap that goes to output and volume 2. This leads me to believe that therein lies my problem, but I am still too new to the workings of circuitry to know what to expect at this part of the board and wanted to consult those with more experience prior to desoldering components. I understand that this part of the circuit is chiefly responsible for the octave up effect, but don't know how things should measure out and I'm guessing that no voltage isn't a good thing!

Additional Notes:

Both pots function despite the low effect output. I triple-checked my layout, components, proper orientation of transistors and electrolytics, and off-board wiring, as well as checked for solder bridges and re-wet all joints on the board. I checked my switches and jacks for continuity. Checked resistors and all caps with my DMM and everything seems functional. Offboard wiring is from Beavis Audio (http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/fig8.1.gif).

I did some research and the most similar post that I could find to my particular problem was here (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105190.0), but it didn't address the low output volume issue that I am experiencing.

My apologies for the novel, but I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer. Many thanks in advance!

anotherjim

Q3 emitter volts far too high.
Power off, meter on resistance. Do you measure 470ohm between Q3 emitter and ground?

CT

Quote from: anotherjim on January 25, 2015, 03:11:31 PM
Q3 emitter volts far too high.
Power off, meter on resistance. Do you measure 470ohm between Q3 emitter and ground?

Thank you for your reply! I'm measuring 501ohm b/w Q3 and ground.

induction

Can you measure Q3 again? It seems very unlikely that E is higher than C.

CT

I am such a bonehead... I've pored over this circuit, triple and quadruple-checking components, ensuring proper placement, and trying to take and record measurements to diagnose the low output issue. Just took another look with fresh eyes a little while ago and noticed that I erroneously soldered the negative lead on the 33u cap that should be going down to pin 5 in the transformer's secondary to the strip below it... Made the correction and everything works great... My apologies for leading you guys through my drawn-out post for such a ridiculous error, but thank you both so much for your replies and suggestions. Needless to say, I'm still learning a lot. I have no idea how I missed that given how much time I've spent rechecking everything... Thank you both again!