What is your "go to" tip for making a pedal work properly every time?

Started by acehobojoe, January 28, 2015, 12:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acehobojoe

I always run into problems when I hit the veroboard or stripboard. Transistors seem to die. Do I need a static protector?

I can't always keep everything organized and connected well.

bluebunny

Is dying transistors the only problem?  Static isn't going to kill them unless they're MOSFETs.  Perhaps they die due to overheating?  If you're doing vero, those big wide strips can wick away the heat from the iron, so technique is key.  Practice, practice, practice!  Aim to get in an out quick and leave behind a good joint every time.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

Socket your chips and trannies...

and take your time..

plan it out from start to finish...

its easy to get excited and rush a pedal, but you want it to last
and not have to keep opening it up to fix all the time to fix it...

failure to plan is planning to fail... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

antonis

Quote from: acehobojoe on January 28, 2015, 12:31:26 AM
I can't always keep everything organized and connected well.
Propably you work in a rush and maybe without self confidence...

You have to organize your work (there are many step by step tutorials...) and - duplicating deadastronaut's dictum - :
< take your time.. >
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

induction

Breadboard before you build.

I see lots of help requests from people who modified a circuit, drew a layout, and built the pedal without checking on the breadboard that the mod actually works and behaves as expected. Some folks with decades of experience can get away with that, but the rest of us mortals should consider listening to the thing and twiddling the knobs before we even draw the layout, much less build it. Troubleshooting and redesigning on the breadboard is easy. A populated layout from a flawed design will often have to be sacrificed to the gods as punishment for hubris.

Even if the circuit isn't modified, or you're building from a verified layout, successfully breadboarding it lets you know that you haven't fundamentally misunderstood something that would make the circuit inoperable or unuseable (biasing, jfet tolerances, ticking, etc.)

Crowella

Is it bad that I come up with the stock responses of:

"Patience" and "practice".

Patience so you can observe every thing that you are doing.
When you are making a PCB layout, cross off everything as you go, then manually check it again at each node.
When putting in polar caps, transistors, IC's, diodes, check your datasheets, check the pin orientations!
When soldering, check off each part as you go, inspect when it's all done.
When cutting vero traces. Check! Measure twice a thousand times, cut once.
Time might be valuable but in most cases it is better to spend that time early on than waste a lot more after.

Also, practice.

You become familiar with how things are done, you get quicker at very little to no expense, you know how a circuit board should look when done and you will develop a routine that works best for you. You'll also have a good idea in the eventual case that something goes wrong, it should be an absolutely easy thing to fix up.

The worst thing about answering this is that it involves more work. That said, when you get everything right, it is so satisfying.  :icon_mrgreen:

EDIT: One last thing. Don't be afraid to be wrong/fail from time to time, it's just another opportunity to learn.  :D
Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you

acehobojoe

These are all amazing tips! I want to write them down in a little journal of pedal building.

anotherjim

Could be a leaky soldering iron. A bad iron can have voltage on it. Test iron tip to AC ground.

karbomusic

TAKE YOUR TIME :)

I just recently listed everything I learned in the last year so I'll just leave it here since some of it applies...

- Soldering irons and soda in Styrofoam cups are a big no-no.
- That solder joint which can't possibly be bad, is.
- In this world there is no "Save As".
- Consistency is everything.
- Stop when working while too tired.
- Tweezers are like the best thing eva!
- Your heart and soul ends up being part of the product.
- If you don't settle for 2nd best, people notice.
- Test, test, test, test and test again.
- Don't forget to put the ICs in!
- Never, ever get in a hurry. Five minutes up front saves three days of debugging later.
- If you understand the circuit, it almost has to work.
- Take notes and document your builds.
- All wheels are round.
- Fuzzes are one of the most misunderstood and underrated pedals eva!
- Don't be "too" technical, give the right side of the brain a chance to do its thing. That big ole melon atop your shoulders contains two hemispheres for good reason.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

vigilante397

Quote from: antonis on January 28, 2015, 12:26:15 PM
Quote from: karbomusic on January 28, 2015, 12:21:18 PM
- Don't forget to put the ICs in!

:icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

If I had a dollar for every time I tested a pedal without the IC(s) I could probably afford to buy the commercial version of every pedal I have ever made :P

Biggest thing for me is definitely take your time. I love playing the guitar so I always get super excited when building and I want to rush through the build so I can play as soon as possible. Often this will lead to substituting components that should not be substituted and generally just plain sloppiness. As has been said before, you want to build something that will last, so be patient and do it right.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

acehobojoe

Jdansti

Quote from: acehobojoe on January 28, 2015, 01:19:14 PM
Is lead free solder bad?

It should be spanked and put to bed without supper.  ;)

It's difficult to work with. It's best to use 60/40 Sn/Pb. Just wash your hands after using.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

samhay

Quote from: acehobojoe on January 28, 2015, 01:19:14 PM
Is lead free solder bad?

Not at all, but it is (sometimes much) more difficult to work than leaded solder, so perhaps 'bad' to learn to solder with.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Crowella

Quote from: karbomusic on January 28, 2015, 12:21:18 PM- Don't forget to put the ICs in!
Oh man, we've all been there before, surely. Socket is ready and all.  :icon_lol:

knutolai

Sockets can be a problem as stomping the pedal repeatedly for months and months may end with a chip or transistor coming loose. You could always use a socket and glue as a extra safe measure

vigilante397

Quote from: knutolai on January 28, 2015, 09:04:55 PM
Sockets can be a problem as stomping the pedal repeatedly for months and months may end with a chip or transistor coming loose. You could always use a socket and glue as a extra safe measure

I've had socketed transistors come loose, but I never recall having had a socketed IC come loose. Maybe I don't stomp hard enough? :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Crowella

Quote from: knutolai on January 28, 2015, 09:04:55 PM
I recall modding a Behringer MIDI controller that used that method of glue on the bottom of the IC to secure it which meant very careful lifting to replace. Not a bad idea really. Transistors might be a bit tricky but not impossible.  ;)

deadastronaut

on socketed trannies...i put a dab of nail varnish on em...

makes them look pretty too.. :)

never had an ic come loose though..if it was, lift it out and just (widen) put a bit of spring back in the legs..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//