hardwiring in/out effect pedal??

Started by scstowaway, January 28, 2015, 05:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scstowaway

So I'm building a guitar, putting an effect pedal in the body, the pedal has true bypass.  since I'm already crammed for space, id like to get rid of the jacks (1/4) and just hardwire the in/out.  not sure how to go about this since the jacks have three solder points, and my leads will only be pairs.  any help is appreciated.

Kipper4

Welcome to the forum.
You will probably get more replys by posting in the Building your own stomp boxs bit.
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

mountianjustice

Is the effect your using a stereo effect ? It should just be a matter of hooking up signal and ground. Not sure what your third solder point is if your not using stereo but if its not used i wouldn't worry about it. Just hook the signal out from the guitar to the signal in on the pedal/effect and the other wire is ground. You should have a signal (hot) from the guitar (used to go to the output jack) connect it to the input hot wire of the pedal/effect. All other wires will get hooked together. Your third solder point is most likely an on/off for the effect. When you plug in a cable it completes the power ground circuit and allows the pedal to come on. If this is the case you will need a trs (stereo) output jack for your guitar and the third wire (power ground) will go to the third lug of the trs jack. You will not need a trs cable to make this work it should work with a standard instrument cable. If you just hook all the grounds together you would need a switch of some kind to turn the effect on/off otherwise it will be on all the time and kill your battery.