My Gagan/PPP wah thread was deleted -- here's the problem and solution again

Started by midwayfair, January 29, 2015, 03:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Apparently my thread was removed even though it contained a specific description of the problem and the solution.

I had a problem with a specific combination of parts, Joe Gagan's wah pot, which I purchased from Smallbear, and the wah enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus, which is most likely manufactured by 4site. These are not uncommon or rare parts, and there's no way to know from buying them that they're incompatible.

Joe apparently thought my post was "misleading" because he claims that there was no problem with his pot, except there IS a problem with his pot if you try to use it in combination with another popular product.

The problems are this: The gear on Joe Gagan's pot uses a different threading than the rack, and the gear is smaller than the gear that comes with that rack, so the tension clutch won't reach it.

My solutions were first to redrill the hole for the tension clutch closer to the rack, and then to just replace the gear on the pot, which was necessary regardless of whether I had to replace or redrill the tension clutch.

It's hardly unrealistic to think someone will end up with the same pot with the same gear attached, purchased from Smallbear, and a wah enclosure they bought from Pedal Parts Plus or another site. These are two popular retailers and products. Since the thread might help someone else solve the problem, I can't understand why it was delete it just because Joe didn't like that his name appeared on one of the products that was incompatible with another product. If PPP came in here and asked me to delete the thread because his pot was making their enclosure look bad, would any think that was reasonable? I doubt it.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

joegagan

not sure if you saw my posts. i asked aron to delete it specifically because of the first 5 words 'problem with a joe gagan... " that was the thread title. for people perusing google about my products , those are not good words to have come up, regardless of what the backstory is. many people will not dig any further into it. it harmed my online reputation for a reason that is not my problem.

i am not expecting preferential treatment here, i am sure any retailer/ supplier could have made the same request and had the same result. i find your claim to the contrary offensive.

i cannot be responsible for people selling rack gears that are not industry standard. mine are.

i cannot take the time to find out what fringe products are out there that mine may or may not work with.

1000 pots were sold with the 12 tooth gears, this is the first time in 20 months that anyone has mentioned that a rack gear is incompatible EXCEPT some 60s italian /UK wahs. for my ebay sales, i clearly state that if you have one of these wahs, to contact me for advice. i have different gears i sell for those.

so, while it may seem the mammoth and PPP are a major source of wah shells, my experience has been the opposite.

specifically about the various import shells that are being sold - it would do no good to try and nail down what rack gear those people are using because from what numerous sources have told me, the product varies in specs from one shipment to the next, even from the same supplier.

again, the reports i get from tom hughes of black cat and others is that the eleca shell for small bear is of very good quality and does not have the aforementioned issues.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Govmnt_Lacky

Actually, to play devil's advocate here...

Doesn't Google not only web crawl for thread TITLES but also for thread content? Pretty sure it does Joe. So, unless Jon were to not use the words "joe", "gagan", and "problem" in the entire post, this thread and any others with those words in the description would come up in a search.

Am I wrong??

Something I cannot wrap my head around too.....

If the standard cry baby-type rack is set up for X amount of teeth (like the standard number of teeth on the gear of a stock Hot Potz II) then wouldn't changing the teeth number on a new gear (even if it is the same diameter as an original) cause that gear to be incompatible with a standard cry baby rack setup?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

there are numerous elements that factor into the gear besides number of teeth.  you could run anything from 11 teeth to 50 teeth on the crybaby rack if you have all of the other elements correct. our gears do.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: joegagan on January 29, 2015, 05:11:45 PM
there are numerous elements that factor into the gear besides number of teeth.  you could run anything from 11 teeth to 50 teeth on the crybaby rack if you have all of the other elements correct. our gears do.

I don't doubt it.

After some thought, I can see how they would work however, you would have to alter the diameter of the gear. This would correspond to what Jon is saying.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

midwayfair

Quote from: joegagan on January 29, 2015, 04:26:20 PM
i cannot be responsible for people selling rack gears that are not industry standard. mine are.

i cannot take the time to find out what fringe products are out there that mine may or may not work with.

For heaven's sake, Joe, where do I ever say that you should be responsible for making your pot conform to the specifications of the enclosure? Neither this thread nor the previous one said anything of the sort.

I had a problem making two popular products work together*. Then you said you were asking to have my thread removed, apparently because you didn't like my title, which clearly identified the two products that don't work together. I haven't said anything about the quality of your product. In fact, you're the only one in either thread who has commented on the quality of a product. Lovely. You don't like the 4Site enclosure. I don't give a crap. I bought one powdercoated in the color I like from the place I like to buy enclosures, and it didn't work with your product. I asked what to do about it, got some advice that helped, found a permanent solution, and then posted what the solution was, and then that solution was gone from the internet because you didn't like the fact that your name was on one of the products involved.

4Site is one of the largest manufacturers of enclosures in the world, and numerous retailers sell only their wah enclosures. It's hardly a fringe product. Other people can conceivably have this issue and now they know what to do about it.

EDIT: Also, if the problem was simply the title of my thread, you could have just asked me to reword it. The way this happened it sure as hell came off as asking for special dispensation.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Gus

midwayfair

Quote from: Gus on January 29, 2015, 06:26:57 PM
Did you contact smallbear or Joe first before starting a thread?

Why? It wouldn't change anything. I still would have posted that there was an issue with the two products, whether in its own thread or in a build report here and elsewhere.

Because

other

people

might

have

the

same

problem.

FFS, that's why forums exist. Do you expect posters to contact the manufacturer of a PCB first before posting a help thread? Would you be okay with Madbean asking someone to remove a thread title with "problem" in it about one of his PCBs? How about Boss, GGG, or any of the other people whose products show up in a title search for the word "problem"?

plexi12000

I had a similar problem before....actually, it's probably the SAME issue you are having.  It's likely the RACK gear.  I discovered the rack I got with a kit.....was totally different from the typical Dunlop rack.

The kit's rack had much smaller teeth/spacing.  couldn't use the pot I already had!