Tri Vibe - help please

Started by zedsnotdead, January 31, 2015, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedsnotdead

Hello fellas!

I am building (trying, that is) a Tri-Vibe from ROG, using Chi-boy's PCB (http://home.comcast.net/~gprause/BuildDocs/TriVibe_V3.1_Build_Doc.pdf).
I already populated the board, checking all component values before soldering with a multimeter, and tested the board.
I used a 5mm red led for D4 and a bright-blue LED for D5.
The result: I just get clean signal, no effect at all in all 3 positions of the lever-switch!

I checked the voltages and this is what I got:

(remember, I am using Chi Boy's PCB notation taken from the .pdf build doc linked above)

Battery: 8.93v
Va (after R37 - 22R): 8.6v

IC1 (ROG's IC4)
pin 1 - 1,29v
pin 2 - 5.10v
pin 3 - 4.43v
pin 4 - 4.43v
pin 5 - 6.1v
pin 6 - 0v
pin 7 - 6.1v
pin 8 - 4.88v
pin 9 - 4.02v
pin 10 - 5.23v
pin 11 - 8.54v
pin 12 - 5.23v
pin 13 - 4.43v
pin 14 - 4.43v
pin 15 - 5,10v
pin 16 - 1,28v

IC2 (ROG's IC1)
pin 1 - 3.97v
pin 2 - 3.95v
pin 3 - 4.07v
pin 4 - 0v
pin 5 - 4.23v
pin 6 - 4.23v
pin 7 - 4.77v
pin 8 - 8.57v

IC3 (ROG's IC2)
pin 1 - 4.25v
pin 2 - 4.25v
pin 3 - 4.23v
pin 4 - 0v
pin 5 - 4.24v
pin 6 - 4.23v
pin 7 - 2.88v
pin 8 - 8.58v

IC4 (ROG's IC3)
pin 1 - 3.95v
pin 2 - 3.65v
pin 3 - 3.66v
pin 4 - 0v
pin 5 - 4.23v
pin 6 - 4.23v
pin 7 - 3.88v
pin 8 - 8.56v

These are ALL steady voltages. No alternation on any reading whatsoever.

Here are a couple of pics taken:

I tested without D5 (it's bright blue LED, instead of red), no luck....

Really, I don't know why I can't get this circuit working. All the voltages seem somewhat correct, I can't find any solder bridges, all components were checked before soldering....

Any help?

Thank you in advance!!

GibsonGM

The LEDs probably matter, as their forward voltages are different..if it calls for "3mm red", that's what you gotta use...

I suggest audio probing the signal path to see if signal makes it all the way thru, or where it stops if it does.....you'll get it, just have to poke around  little :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

B Tremblay

Looks like the LFO is inoperative.

You should see fluctuating voltages at pins 5,6,7 of your IC3 as well as pins 1,3,7,6 of your IC4. After double-checking the components and solder joints around IC3 and IC4, try a different IC for each of those positions. Did you make any substitutions? What ICs are you using?

The circuit has a somewhat higher current draw, so a power supply is a good choice.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

zedsnotdead

SOLVED!

It really was the blue-bright LED. Changed it for a red standard LED and it worked!

I thought this LED was for rate indication only and that I could use other colors for this, but I was wrong (I still don't have enough knowledge of this circuit to understand why it must be red though.... yes I am noob...)

One last question: I feel that the middle position of the switch (Vibe mode) the depth is too subtle - not so on the other two modes, they work great - so do you think I could increase depth using a larger value pot, say 50k? Or anything else I may change? 

Sorry to wate your time on this and thank you so much for your replies guys!
And again, sorry for my "noobness"...

Cheers!!

B Tremblay

Glad you got it working.

The nature of Vibe mode is that a higher Depth setting is necessary and the effect is most noticeable at Rate settings above 50%.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

zedsnotdead

Quote from: B Tremblay on February 01, 2015, 02:14:04 PM
Glad you got it working.

The nature of Vibe mode is that a higher Depth setting is necessary and the effect is most noticeable at Rate settings above 50%.

So there's no way I could get a little more depth on Vibe mode?

Thank you Tremblay!

B Tremblay

Is the depth not enough even with the Depth at maximum?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

zedsnotdead

Well... I feel I could use a bit more on Vibe mode, maybe around 25-30%...

Sorry for late reply.
Thank you!