novice question regarding wire types

Started by tacomamc, January 31, 2015, 01:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacomamc

I recently made a fuzz face clone using a 2222A and 2n3904 transistors, and I really like the results.  Im going to build another, but for now i want to make this one a little better.  Im happy with my work on the PCB (I used perfboard), but the wiring from the perfboard to the pots, switch, and jacks is what I'm asking about.  I used thin solid strand wires I took from an old phone line.  I know it gets brittle if you do much moving of the wires around... such as for replacing the battery and such.  So, would I be better off using multi strand wire?  I have some that is more robust, I think its 18 or 22 gauge?  I got it in a three roll pack from Lowes a while back.  Would this be ok/ better to use for the runs to the jacks and pots?  Im hoping that by cleaning up my wiring I can also reduce some of the noise.  Its not bad, but right now Im using a Telecaster with single coils, and actually only have a neck pickup, so it may just be amplified single coil hum that I'm hearing.  I guess when I can afford bridge pickup, I will be able to verify this. 

peterg

Stranded 22 or 24 gauge wire is the most commonly used.

GibsonGM

Quote from: peterg on January 31, 2015, 03:03:16 PM
Stranded 22 or 24 gauge wire is the most commonly used.

+1    Parts that aren't going to move, on the PCB, anything is fine. But for batteries, offboard connections, I find that stranded wire holds up a lot better, too.   And - if you kink or strip too deeply on solid core, it will eventually break...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

davent

22awg stranded be perfect, 18awg would be massive if that's what you have. Roll the volume of your guitar off while plugged in with the pedal engaged to hear how much the single coil is contributing to he noise and how much is pedal noise.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

tacomamc

Thanks everyone for your input.  I'll make the change to the stranded wire I have.