COT50, again...

Started by mrsuspend, February 01, 2015, 06:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsuspend

It's always the easiest schems giving you trouble, isn't it?  :-\
I struggled to get my Fuzz Face biased right and now I'm struggling to get something decent out of the Clock Of Tone.
I built it on Torchy's vero (with the 47uf cap error corrected). It works, but sounds more or less like any scratchy one transistor overdrive. I found the Nature control to be rather feeble and I already have about four varieties of treble boosters so I removed it and moved the 47uf down to straddle R5.
Like several others, I find that all the distortion comes from the transistor with the diodes having virtually no effect (as in I can't hear it  :icon_confused:). Also the volume drops below unity on the lowest bias setting.
Looking at the various "original COT50" schems, there seems to be some disagreement about the input cap values with some using a 4,7nf and some a 47nf. I'm using a 56nf as per the "Clock" schem but still find it cuts a lot of bass out.
I'd appreciate any pointers or views on this as I don't know how to proceed short of just scrapping it and trying Marks COT50 vero instead

/Magnus

rosscocean

With it being such a simple circuit you'd probably benefit from bread boarding it, if you've got one.

mrsuspend

Quote from: rosscocean on February 01, 2015, 10:00:23 AM
With it being such a simple circuit you'd probably benefit from bread boarding it, if you've got one.

I do and I should've...  I just didn't expect this to be any trouble  :icon_rolleyes:
I socketed the transistor and diodes though, I tried 1N914:s and 1N270:s, no difference,  I tried 2N5088s and 2N5089s, the latter is slightly gainier but no huge difference.

/Magnus