Guitar PCB Dr. Phybes Troubleshooting

Started by Seven64, February 01, 2015, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

Hello all!  Getting back on the wagon and trying to finish up some old builds.  This guy is giving me a headache.  I am building the original Barry-etched Dr Phybes v.1 PCB, and cant get the darn thing to cooperate!

So, the problem is I have a VERY quiet output when the effect is engaged.  I would stay maximum 20% of the volume of my clean signal.  I found a few placed that i had bridged connections to the ground pad due to crappy soldering a few years back when I started the project.  I have been using an audio probe, and only have signal (clean) coming out of the Quad Op Amp at pin8.  I am thinking I might just have a bad TL074.  I have tried searching, but can't find any proper voltages for this build.

Do you guys want me to pull voltages for you, or can somebody let me know how to test the TL074?

Thanks!

Reed

PRR

> ...bridged connections ... due to crappy soldering...

Those things run in packs.

I sure would suspect more bad-solder than I would suspect a TL074 chip.

• SUPPORTER

Seven64

Quote from: PRR on February 01, 2015, 05:07:56 PM
> ...bridged connections ... due to crappy soldering...

Those things run in packs.

I sure would suspect more bad-solder than I would suspect a TL074 chip.

Yea, I have triple checked it at this point, and re-flowed every solder joint.  I found 3 bridges and a few skeptical solder joints.  I dont know if that would have compromised any of the Op Amps or Transistors

Seven64

FWIW this was fixed.  +1 for this layout working perfectly fine.  It ended up being one of the solder joints had become partially seperated from the copper trace.  I had to run a jumper the length of the trace, which was luckily only 2cm.  I got that looking pretty and BOOM!  I got to dial in the pot, and this is great effect.  This is only my 3rd experience with a phaser, but this one had no volume loss.  It adds so much depth to the sound of your guitar, it pairs exceptionally well with most dirtboxes.  Will edit with soundclips and pictures