Muff (Skreddy Mayo) volume drop

Started by rubyscube, February 02, 2015, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubyscube

Hello! Been reading this forum A LOT while building my first couple of stompboxes, but first time posting.

Hopefully, I don't need a full debug... just a couple of pointers from people much more experienced than myself.

This is the project in question. A skreddy mayo clone from this veroboard layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.no/2011/04/skreddy-mayo.html

My 3dpt switch is wired like this: http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/Pedal_projects/3PDT-wiring.jpg

The only thing deviating at all from this design is the mids-switch and the transistors wich are vintage 2n5133's, but I suspect a bit lower gain than the ones Skreddy used.
The switch is an on-off-(on) DPDT, instead of the on-off-on that you are supposed to use for the scoop/boost modes. This is purely because it was the only switch I had laying around. I wired this so only the straight and up positions of the switch have any effect. Straight is flat, up is mids boost, down does nothing and I have not wired the 2 "down" terminals to each other.

So... on to the problem.

It sounds great. Creamy and brutal at the same time. But I am experiencing a volum drop when engaging the pedal.

For orientation. When I turn the volume pot all the way up, the sound level is a tad less than when the pedal is turned off. If i engage the mids boost switch, the volume is about the same.

I would imagine that the volume level should be higher at full volume pot, than when disengaged?

???

Help much appreciated :)

antonis

Propably the output gain stage doesn't recover the whole loss from tonestack...

You should try to increase (better with a trimpot) output's BJT collector resistance...
(or decrease emitter's one..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..