Any Power Stack Distortion like project?

Started by nguitar12, February 03, 2015, 08:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguitar12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwpL4k2DX8

Built different kind of distortion (Rat, Crunch box)
Not the tone I looking for. Very fuzzy and muddy.
Just wonder if there any Power Stack Distortion like project?
I am looking for bright and crunchy high gain distortion.

GibsonGM

I looked into this one a little, because that clip demonstrated some VERY nice tone! 

Sadly, a few sources say this uses a processor...a small chip....so it's a stack MODELER.  Not something we can really pop together DIY!

There ARE some really nice sounding distortions around, though, like the new Thunderbird from Runoffgroove (there is a big post on the first page of the forum about it!)   and the BSIAB, among many others.  They probably wouldn't be as versatile, but would give you a chance to grab some of that tone in a DIY format.

The way around having to use a processor like that is to drive your tube amp with something (FETs or what have you - very simple), and shape the tone with some other circuitry (opamps could get you a nice moveable mid scoop, for example).    OR - best of all - you could build a Marshall-like tube preamp that you can set up to sound very much like this, since the idea was to copy THAT!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...