Dr.Boogie Build Questions.

Started by steveyraff, February 04, 2015, 11:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

I found the schem here: http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/drboo/drboo-project.pdf

But I am not great at reading schems yet. I can identify the components in question, but the schem also doesnt show a polarity, so how do I work out which polarity orientation to go for by looking at this?

By the way, I am just curious as to how to do this, as I eventually did find non polarised 220nf caps after a bit of digging around at home - however, they are cream box caps and I cant see the legs stretching far enough across the vero board!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

duck_arse

if those are the 220nF's in the tone section, it's easy to work out. the ends connected to the pots are taken to ground via the pots, so 0V that end. the other ends connect to the source of Q5, which will be at V/2 or similar, via another resistor, so that end would be more positive.

anyway, now you have you poly caps, you can solder them in, and measure the volts on either end, prove us all wrong. (anytime yr not sure, tack in any value poly, and measure the dc's either side.)
don't make me draw another line.

steveyraff

Quote from: duck_arse on February 18, 2015, 09:57:51 AM
anyway, now you have you poly caps, you can solder them in, and measure the volts on either end, prove us all wrong. (anytime yr not sure, tack in any value poly, and measure the dc's either side.)

I can't, the poly caps have short legs - wont stretch that far.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

vigilante397

Quote from: steveyraff on February 18, 2015, 10:07:01 AM
I can't, the poly caps have short legs - wont stretch that far.

In that case just follow his previous advice: the leads that connect to the pots are negative.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

steveyraff

I understand now. Both caps have legs going to pots, which send the signal to ground, so that would be negative - the other leg will have a higher voltage so that would be positive. Cool. Man - I need to remember to order polarised caps only were needed! Sorry for all the hassle, but the help was highly appreciated.

Now lets wire this sucker up and see if it even works!  :icon_eek:
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Kipper4

Crossing my fingers for you Stevey. Once you get it working an any obsticles  overcome your going to love it.
Depending on your rig of course. A nice clean amp and a boogie sounds awesome.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

vigilante397

Agreed. One of my favorite things about the Dr. Boogie is that regardless of what amp you plug it into it will no longer sound like that amp. Fender is no longer Fender, Marshall is no Longer Marshall, Vox is no longer Vox. It all becomes BOOGIE :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

steveyraff

Anyone ever used one of these clear shaft alpha pots for 3mm LEDs?

I'm having problems figuring it out. The LED doesn't fit all the way into it, which is alright, it just goes as far as its bottom rim. However, I'm unsure how to secure the LED to it?

Also, what there the Lugs at either side, with the V and A markings?

Thanks all..
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Kipper4

Those little luggys are for attaching the pot to a pcb.
And i guess you dont want to fix the leds in the shaft or when you rotate it will break the led legs.
just put it some where near on the pcb so it shines through. Not that I've ever done it. Take this with a pinch.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

steveyraff

Quote from: Kipper4 on February 18, 2015, 03:57:48 PM
Those little luggys are for attaching the pot to a pcb.
And i guess you dont want to fix the leds in the shaft or when you rotate it will break the led legs.
just put it some where near on the pcb so it shines through. Not that I've ever done it. Take this with a pinch.

Ah cool! Yep, thats done the trick it seems!

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk