Wah D.C. Jack Filter.Is this feasible?

Started by soupbone, February 04, 2015, 08:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I've been using a 100uf cap and 1N4001 as a filter for the d.c. jack for wah's for a while.I found this page today; www.guitarpedalbuilders.blogspot.com/2012/05/power-filter-led-daughterboard.html?m=1 Does this look it would work for a wah?(minus the led on the daughter board.)

ashcat_lt

Yes.  Course, if you're leaving out the LED, then you can leave out R2. 

Note that the diode is not really part of the filter, but in this case is what I call "warranty protection" meant to explode when you connect the wrong polarity adapter without really protecting much so that the manufacturer can deny your warranty claim because you didn't use their recommended wallwart.  I prefer actual polarity protection with the diode in series with the resistor.

soupbone

Quote from: ashcat_lt on February 04, 2015, 08:58:02 PM
Yes.  Course, if you're leaving out the LED, then you can leave out R2. 

Note that the diode is not really part of the filter, but in this case is what I call "warranty protection" meant to explode when you connect the wrong polarity adapter without really protecting much so that the manufacturer can deny your warranty claim because you didn't use their recommended wallwart.  I prefer actual polarity protection with the diode in series with the resistor.
Cool.When you say,actual polarity protection what do mean?Do you have a link or diagram to show me what you're talking about?Thanks!

ashcat_lt

Sorry, I don't have a link, but it's as simple as what I said.  Put the diode in series.  In your link, cut the trace between R1 and C1, and put the diode in there instead.  The stripe goes toward the capacitor.  Now it will only ever conduct in the right direction.  If you apply a wrong polarity power supply nothing happens.  The pedal gets a bit less voltage because of the diode drop.  You can use a Shottky diode for less drop, but I'm not sure it much matters in most wahs (or most pedals in general...).

soupbone

Quote from: ashcat_lt on February 04, 2015, 09:22:01 PM
Sorry, I don't have a link, but it's as simple as what I said.  Put the diode in series.  In your link, cut the trace between R1 and C1, and put the diode in there instead.  The stripe goes toward the capacitor.  Now it will only ever conduct in the right direction.  If you apply a wrong polarity power supply nothing happens.  The pedal gets a bit less voltage because of the diode drop.  You can use a Shottky diode for less drop, but I'm not sure it much matters in most wahs (or most pedals in general...).
Ok cool.Gotcha.Thanks ashcat!